i. the thrill of a high-speed cat chase

━━━ VVV ━━━

IT MIGHT ONLY be a few moments before Erik would completely succumb to an explosive state

IT MIGHT ONLY be a few moments before Erik would completely succumb to an explosive state. Courtesy to his dear friend Charles, he had been sitting for God knows how long on a bench in a park. His foot tapped impatiently on the grassed ground with his arms crossed over his chest like a child being deprived of sweets on a weekend of stress.

Charles was aware of this. If the awful glare on the man's face wasn't a huge giveaway to what he was currently feeling right now. But also the not so subtle complaints voiced into his mind which he had to ignore for the past hour of watching what he wasn't even initially here for.

A bubble of negative emotions unwillingly surfaced inside Erik as if it was a feeling forever embedded in him. He was a man who didn't like staying in one place at all. A man who preferred to walk around a certain spot so that he could ease his nerves and thoughts which screamed at him to do something. Like an itch to his feet that prompts him to want to continue his plans of seeking the vengeance he has longed for all his life and whatever Charles was doing here didn't help him in any way.

“Patience, Erik.” The telepath spoke, eyes still trained on the scene.

But having to hear those two damn words might have actually done more bad than good to the man. He was never one for the thing called patience. Especially when it came to the fact that he was achieving nothing other than to waste time.

“Patience for what, Charles?” He snapped. “Watching a girl walk around the park with her cat? We've been here for ages and all we've ever done is glance at how the animal discharged by a tree. There obviously isn't anything special about that girl!”

“Now now, my friend. We cannot judge just yet. I have an inkling there's actually more than what meets the eye.” Charles opposed calmly.

“I can see that.” Erik spat sarcastically, his eye twitching slightly. Perhaps the only odd thing he'd dare admit would be her choice of clothing. He couldn't describe it but it just looked like something that came out of an older period.

And he was correct on that part. Seeing as she wore a standard outfit of their kind which was a flowy dress with puffy sleeves that partnered a seemingly Victorian style.

“Would it hurt you that much to actually approach the girl?” The man finally questioned what was bothering his mind. “If she's given you no thought to read, clearly that's a sign of her mutation?”

Charles didn't reply, causing him to eventually let go of the last bit of his restraint and stand from the bench. He mentally sighed in relief as the sensation of being able to get off that stupid seat welcomed him with an eased crack from his aching bones.

Any objection from the telepath was left unvoiced as a loud yelp echoed from in front of them. Both of them snapped their attention forward but one of them wasn't quick enough to dodge a blur of black fur that leapt towards his chest and sent him falling back to the bench he just escaped from.