Chapter 48 (Melia)

I stood outside the arena of Dragon's Edge, eyeing the Dragon Flyers within. Most of the flyers were out on a mission or setting their Singetails up in the stables, leaving anyone who was left to sort through the supplies.

"Shade?" I turned at the call, catching sight of Hunter walking towards me. "You okay? You seem kind of off." Hunter asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I replied, the tone of my voice sounding a lot flatter than I would have liked it to be. Hunter quirked a brow.

"Something tells me you're really not." Hunter remarks. I glared at him, my frown deepening, though there was no real fire behind my actions. Hunter sighed before sitting down on the overhang, his feet dangling over the edge as he gestured for me to take a seat beside him. With a sigh of my own, I obliged, following his sitting position on the overhang. "So, what's eating at you?"

"You mean minus Krogan's colossal expectations that are stressing everyone out?" I half-joked. Hunter eyed me for a moment before saying something that threw me off.

"Relationship troubles?"

"jsdfjaskj- What?!" I exclaimed, turning towards Hunter in shock. "What- Why- What in Valhalla makes you think that's what's wrong with me?!" Hunter shrugged, a sly look in his eyes.

"You just have that look about you." Hunter claimed. "So... Who is it?" I stared at Hunter, weighing my options before sighing in defeat.

"It doesn't matter much now. We... We had a falling out of sorts."

"What happened?"

"He did something that... hurt me."

"Physically?"

"No! No, he-" I paused, considering my words. "He... betrayed my trust."

"Oh... I'm sorry to hear that." Hunter said. We sat in silence for a while, watching the other hunters in the arena. "Do you think you could... I dunno, make it work between you two again?" I frowned, pulling my legs up to my chest and resting my chin upon my knees.

"I don't know. I don't really know if I can forgive him for what he's done."

"You'll never know until you try, right?" Hunter remarked, nudging my arm. I shot him a small smile, chuckling softly. Maybe, Hunter was right...

"What about you, Hunter?"

"Hmm?"

"Is there someone for you out there?" I asked, glancing over at him. Hunter diverted his gaze, a thoughtful look in his eyes.

"Maybe..." Hunter claimed. "I do like someone, but I don't think he would like me in that way." I was about to give Hunter encouragement like he had given me, but somthing stuck with me about what he'd said.

"Hold on... He?" Hunter's posture went ridged.

"Uh- I- I meant she." Hunter said quickly, backtracking.

"No. I don't think you did." I argued. There was panic in Hunter's gaze, but I quickly patted his shoulder, smiling reassuringly. "It's okay, Hunter. Who you like, even love, it isn't any of my business." Hunter stared at me for a moment before sighing in relief.

"You took that a lot better than my clan did."

"Please. I know girls who have had feeling for other girls. A man liking a man isn't that big a deal." I remarked, leaning into Hunter. "So, who's the lucky viking?" Hunter bit his lip, glancing down into the arena. I followed his gaze, catching sight of "Sullo!"

"Shh!" Hunter scrambled to shush me. "Not so loud!"

"You like Sullo?" I asked.

"Yes...?" Hunter answered, an embarrased tone to his voice. "B-But you can't tell anyone! Promise me!"