A new hero appears

"I'd like to see how you get out of this." Ratigan scoffed. "Although you also know the second way of escape, which is safer."

"Keep dreaming we'll give you the Miraculouses!" Chat Noir exclaimed looking over his shoulder at the rat.

"Very well, if that is your decision."

The professor snapped his fingers and his henchmen opened fire. Quickly, the feline-rodent extended his staff and turned it around, protecting himself and the others from the shots.

"What's the plan?" Dawson asked scared.

"Between Ladybug and Chat Noir, they could open one of those portals to get out of here, but with this attack only one could and we're not sure the other will last long enough for us to escape." Basil observed.

«Por algo existe el dicho "mujer precavida vale por dos."» (There's a reason there's a saying 'cautious woman is worth two.') Ladybug thought.

With her tail she carefully pulled out of her pocket what at first glance looked like a small piece of charcoal. She hugged Olivia tightly and leaned close to Basil to whisper in his ear.

"Hold my hand tight. Tell Dawson to hold on tight to Chat Noir and as soon as he lowers the staff to hold onto you and Doc."

"I'm glad to hear you have an ace up your sleeve."

Basil relayed the message to the two mice, who nodded. Ratigan saw the interaction of his prey and with a wave of his hand ordered his men to cease fire.

"What are you up to?" asked the rat with 'curiosity and interest'. "Do you have your 'escape route'?

"Actually, yes." Ladybug answered. The men took it as another sign to stick together and run. "Do you like jokes?"

That question took everyone, without exception, by surprise. Before anyone thought to ask the heroine what the hell she was talking about, she threw something on the floor and immediately the entire room was completely covered in thick black smoke; so much so couldn't even see the fire in the fireplace. Screaming, the five mice, guided by the coccinellid-rodent, passed by Fidget and the thugs, fleeing down the opposite corridor from which they came.

"That was awesome!" Olivia shrieked excitedly. "A real escape trick!"

"To be a cliché it worked pretty well." Basil opined.

"What a great idea, My Lady!" Chat Noir congratulated. "But what did you use? You haven't used your Lucky Charm to get that, have you?"

"Nope. What's called 'Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder'. Ladybug answered. "Courtesy of some friends who are dedicated to making articles of jokes."

"That would explain the rhetorical question before escaping." Dawson said.

"Basil, you know this place better than us, where do we go?" the heroine asked the detective

"Honestly, I have no idea," replied the mouse somewhat doubtfully.

"WHAT?!" they all shouted as they stopped and stared at Basil in astonishment.

"Before you even think about claiming me, the part of college I know is the mousy. From the human side only the science area, from there on out I don't know anything else."

Great! Just perfect! Now how the hell were they going to...?

"LADYBUG!" Olivia yelled frightened, looking over the young woman's shoulder.

The older ones turned to see Fidget and the thugs running towards them. The five mice had no choice but to run away and try to find a way out. Oxford University was huge and they felt like they were running through a maze, so they would never get out! They left the main building and ran through the gardens. It was not a good idea to go through open spaces since they would have nowhere to hide, but what other option did they have?