- F I V E. -

The next three days dragged on for Lyra as she was only able to sleep during the day. She had made a deal with Clarke concerning Jasper. Lyra would take the night shift if Clarke took the day shift.

Lyra had tried to get some rest during her night shift, but it was near impossible. Jasper would moan throughout the night from the pain he was feeling, and there wasn't much Lyra could do to help him. His moans would wake up the others, causing them to yell and shout and complain.

If it wasn't Jasper's moans and groans filled with pain, it was a young girl screaming in her sleep from nightmares. Sadly, it wasn't just one time. It was nearly every time the young girl fell asleep.

Lyra couldn't win at night. They could survive the daytime, but night was a different level. The night was the true determinant of survival.

On the third day, Lyra was woken by the pained screams of Jasper. She knew his cries by heart now. Scrambling from her cot, she climbed down the ladder to the first level of the ship.

She rushed over to the table they held Jasper down on only to see him squirming in their grip. Clarke stood over him with a scalpel in her hands, hovering it over the wound.

"What's going on?" Lyra questioned. Her eyebrows were stitched together both in confusion and worry for the boy under the blade that came from her medical bag.

"His wound is infected," Clarke answered. "Guys, you need to hold him still."

Wells, Finn, and Monty nodded in unison as they held the poor boy down as best as they could. The blonde girl started to cut away the infected flesh. This only resulted in screams from Jasper.

Octavia ran inside the drop ship and gasped at the scene before her. "Stop! You're killing him!"

Lyra walked away from the makeshift operating table to Octavia, shielding her from the view.

"Octavia, we are trying to save his life," Lyra said gently, placing her hands on the shoulders of Octavia.

"You can't save his life."

Lyra's eyebrows furrowed together at those words and her eyes searched for the face of Bellamy Blake. He had just entered the drop ship, arms crossed over his chest.

His face was void of emotion, but yet held a tinge of annoyance. Most likely from the screams and cries of Jasper for the past three days.

"We didn't drag him through miles of woods just to let him die," Clarke sneered. Although she was cutting away the infection, it couldn't be heard over the screams of Jasper.

"The kid's a goner," Bellamy scoffed. "If you can't see that, you're deluded. His screams are making people crazy."

Octavia walked to the boy on the table, cupping his hand in hers. Lyra couldn't help but smile. Both of the girls wanted Jasper to live through this. He pulled both of the girls out of the water to get them away from the river monster.

Her eyes shifted to the dark orbs of Bellamy Blake and narrowed. "He just had a spear thrown through his chest cavity. He's in pain. We will save him."

"Take a look at him, Granger!" Bellamy chuckled humorlessly, using his hand to motion towards Jasper. "He's a lost cause."

Lyra looked at the poor boy lying on the table and her heart pinged with sympathy. Abby had packed her four vials of morphine to use sparingly until it's safe for them to arrive on the ground. They had already used one vial on Jasper. Could she risk losing another vial?