Prologue

I have always had to work hard for everything in life and this time was no different.

From a young age, I was at a complete disadvantage. My father was a miserable drunk who couldn't stay out of prison long enough to realise I was his daughter and a mom that worked herself into an early grave trying to provide my brother and I with the best lives possible. Some real role models, huh?

We were still kids when she died, Jay was fifteen and I was twelve when she finally collaposed at her third job as a waitress and passed away from a brain haemorrage. Apparently she had been suffering for a long time and instead of getting treatment, she decided to enroll us in all the best extra curriculars and made sure we had the best clothes. She viewed us as her little prodigies and for a long time that is exactly what Jay and I were.

By the time I was eighteen, I had lost control from being shipped from different foster homes and losing all contact with my brother and my non exisitent father. I found solace in alcohol that helped numb the pain and lonliness and in some twisted way, made me feel closer to my father. It was drugs and alcohol that remained a huge part of my life until I met her.

At the time I didn't realise the signifcant change she would have on my life and how she would change my path forever. She was a whirlwind and without her I may never have made it.