Chapter Nine

After the picnic and horseriding on the beach, Sloane decided it was her turn to book a cute date but she decided to keep it a secret from me. I had never had anyone try to surprise me with little cute dates. I always wondered when it turned from being friends cheering each other on to two people going on dates with each other. I sat in the living room having a coffee waiting for Sloane to get ready after our run. She came downstairs looking really pretty with her dark hair down for once and she worn tight jeans and a sweater with some runners, I can't help but react when I see how beautiful she looks.

"Sloane you look incredible. I love when you let your hair down."

Sloane blushed and smiled before helping me to my feet she spins me around whistling before the words leave her mouth which we are noth taken aback by.

"Damn, my wife is HOT!"

Sloane laughs and goes bright red before looking down at her shoes.

"Did that just come out of my mouth?"

She covers her eyes and shakes her head and I can't help but giggle.

"Well my wife is hotter!"

When she looks at me I give her a little wink and she seems to be at ease again. She gives me a quick hug before she gathers up my bags.

"So you've got everything yeah?"

I look around wondering if I need anything else from Sloanes house or mine to bring to rehab today after our date. I remember the box in the cupboard of my apartment so we decide to swing over there before leaving.

After an hours drive, we make a pit stop at a beautiful park. Sloane unexpectedly holds my hand as we walk towards a part of the park that has hotair balloons.

"Oh no Sloane, please tell me we are walking past those.."

Sloane squeezes my hand to reassure me and pulls me forward excitedly.

"Nope we are going on one babe."

I feel a hitch in my breath at the word - 'babe'. I am stunned but I can immediately tell that Sloane has said it so naturally that she doesn't realise she has even said and that just makes me enjoy all the more.

We got onto the hotair balloon together and the instructor began to go through the operation and his expectations of us during the flight. My heart begins to pound in my chest from the fear of heights that I have never shared with Sloane before. She wraps her arms around my waist as the flame blazes and the balloon rises. I begin to shake and Sloane squeezes her arms around me a little tighter adn whispers in my ear.

"I got you baby. Just hold onto me."

That word again causes me to lose my breath but this time Sloane catches it and immediately begins to apologise for. I manage to turn in her arms and face her as the balloon floats through the air. I look into her eyes and then to her lips and back again, I caress her cheek softly and before I realise what I am doing I close the space between us, kissing her softly. Sloane reciprocates but stops unexpectedly leaving me hungry for more as she looks me in the eyes.

"Dani, you know I want you and I always have. I have always felt something between us but right now we need to focus on you getting better okay? We have a lifetime to explore something more then."

I turn my back towards her again and face out towards the view while she continues to hold me in her warmth and safety. I let myself get lost in the moment as I watch the world progress below me and I stan still in time up here in the air. I touch my lips imagining the amazing kiss from Sloane and how she looks out for me at all costs and wants the very best for me above all.

Following a fear inducing ride on the hotair balloom, we decide to get dinner and then head towards the rehab centre. I feel my palms getting sweaty as we drive and Sloane holds my hand to reassure me. She gives it a squeeze and tells me how perfect I am and this is going to make sure that I have thee best future possible. In that moment I decide to talk to Sloane about my future as a social worker and university and she was nothing but supportive.

Upon arrival at the rehab centre, I felt like I was having a panic attack until Sloane managed to calm me down by distracting me talking about a future where I am clean and sober and have kids and a dog. Sloane holds my hand as we walk into the clean white building with polished floors and dull walls that seem completely lifeless. I look around and feel absolutely terrified but I feel a squeeze from Sloane and I take a deep breath. Sloane speaks to the receptionist looking to check in and speak with the facilitator about the arrangements for me.

"Sloane, do you really think I can do this?"

Sloane looks at me with soft eyes and smiles at me.

"You can do anything beautiful. I believe in you!"

We meet with a tall bald man with a grey moustache and a white doctors coat which makes me nervous. We sit in his office and Sloane explains the situatin about my drinking and drugs and her military deployment. The man looks from Sloane to me and then back to me.

"So Danielle, have you anything to add?"

I rack my brain wondering how to respond to this man so he will have sympathy for me. I think about the father, my mother and brother, the abuse and violence, the drugs and alcohol. My mind races and decide to share how I feel with the man and in the presence of Sloane. Sloane squeezes my hand and kisses it gently before whispering, "I'm so proud of you babe."

The bald man looks at me, studying me before saying gently, "Your vulnerability and honesty is a breath of fresh air my dear. We will take care of you."

I stand and follow the man to my room where Sloane drops off my bags. She gives me another kiss and then holds me tightly and tells me to believe in myself and continue to work hard. Sloane promises to visit me in two days time before she heads away to prepare for deployment. As she left, I found myself crying at the idea of losing her and the nurses enter to comfort me by taking me to a meeting that others are about to have in the receational hall.

As I enter the hall, I feel myself giving into the program wanting to transform for the sake of the woman I find myself falling for. I go to take a seat when I see a familiar face standing on the other side of the room with dark eyes piercing through me. Fear began to run through me and I began to shake wondering will I ever be safe anywhere?...