Chapter Thirteen

'BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!'
I reach across looking for my phone to turn off my alarm. As I pick up my phone I see some messages from Rosie from last night and Sloane. WAIT! SLOANE! I fumble my phone as I race to open my messages.

Sloane: Hey D, sorry that I worried you. I am fine please don't worry or stress yourself out. I am going to be in the hospital for the next week so we can talk then hopefully. Hope to see you soon.

Although she doesn't acknowledge the 'I love you' or doesn't include any kisses, I ignore it all and just feel happy at the thought that she has responded to me and is open to having a conversation with me. I read and reread the message numerous times hovering about the keys on the phone before replying to her with a simple message.

Dani: I will be there, everyday no matter what. I miss you x

I see the message has been read as soon as I send it so I wait for a reply before looking at Rosies messages.

Sloane: I miss you too x

I can't help but grin ear to ear as I open Rosies messages, feeling like there is still a chance with Sloane and the door is still open.

Rosie: Amazing meeting you again last night! So glad you joined us and hopefully you can make it a regular thing. We all loved your company. Keep your head up and let me know if you need anything. Sending lots of love to Sloane and you xxx

I read the message a second time and smile. I put my phone down and lie back in bed and think about my life. I have a gorgeous wife who is a hero and I have some caring and supportive friends. What else could I want? I need to make this work and make my mum proud of me.

I shower and get ready to go see Sloane for the first time in six months. I had always been a frail thin girl and that is what Sloane left in Oakwood however, now the woman coming to see her was a strong, toned and healthy woman who radiated with confidence and determination. I can't believe the transformation as I look at my blonde bouncy curls and my tanned skin and realise that she saved me. She saved my whole life.

I head downstairs and make a coffee while I wait for Captain Johnson to come and take me to the hospital to see Sloane.

During the drive over the captain is very intrigued about my life and asks lots of questions and I try to be candid as possible without being very forthcoming about my addiction and struggles but I already know that he has some information from his conversations previously with Kyle at the diner. We sit in silence during the drive until he turns to me unexpectedly.

"You know I am going to be honest here Miss Russo because I really like you but I don't think you are the best person to be around Sloane and I have shared these feelings with her. I know she loves you but that's Sloane. She loves with her whole heart. She needs someone that will look after her and be there. Someone she doesn't have to worry about constantly over drugs."

I let the tears stream down my cheeks as I gaze out the window imagining all the reactions that I could have on this man besides crying. I feel his gaze on me as we are stopped at the traffic lights and I refuse to look at him. I consider how Sloane reacted and what she said the last time I saw her and the pain in her eyes as she talked about Lucy and Julian.

"I am sorry Danielle. I just wanted to look out for Sloane. She's like a daughter to me and will be an all American hero if she keeps going. I just want to protect her."

I finally build up the courage to speak my mind when the captain pulls off from the lights.

"Captain Johnson with all due respect, Sloane is my wife and I love her. I have been gone for six months to make sure that I was strong enough to be the best wife I can for her."

The captain continues to look forward stony eyed refusing to say or do anything. The remainder of the journey to the hospital is silent until we pull up in the parking lot and we both head inside.

Waiting in reception seems to take absolutely forever as the captain and I sit in stern silence until a doctor approaches us.

"Sloane Williamson's family?"

I stand immediately and move towards him as the captain follows closely on my heels.

"Yes she is my wife and this is her - uh - her father."

I exchange glances with the captain before giving my full attention to the doctor and his update. He explains that Sloane had developed an infection that spread during the flight and needed to be taken into for an operation to remove the high risk bullets before she died of septic shock. He explained the potential aftermath of the surgery before explaining she is stable and doing well and guides us to her room.

My mind begins racing and I feel my brain thumping loudly between my two ears wondering how Sloane will react to seeing me. Upon seeing her through the window, my heart begins to race. The captain enters first and speaks briefly with Sloane and hugs her while I hover in the doorway waiting. This little move makes me feel inferior and less important when I am supposed to be her wife.

Sloanes face looks thin and her hair dishevelled. Her white hospital gown alsmost swallows the strong muscular woman I married although her tattooed arms are still visible. I look at her finger for her wedding band but don't see it and I feel slightly disheartened. She finally looks away from the captain who stops mid conversation when he realises he has lost all her attention. The captain straightens up and walks towards the door leaving us alone. I continue to stand back near the door until she breaks the silence.

"So do I get a hug from my wife or?"

She has the same warm husky voice and she plasters on her cheeky grin and giving me a cheeky little wink. I smile and walk towards the bed and wrap my arms around her neck and she wraps hers around me as best as possible.

"I have missed you so much Sloane."

My voice breaks and we both begin to cry. I pull back and rest my head against hers and look into her soft brown eyes. She runs her hands up and down my arms.

"I missed you too Dani. I regret every minute of every second the last six months and wasting so much time."

I crash my lips onto hers and she caresses my cheek softly. I choose to ignore the captain and his comments after Sloanes reaction and her affection towarsd me. I run my hands softly over Sloanes arms and stomach and gently graze my fingers over her bandages. She rests her hand on top of mine and looks up at me sincerely.

"I promise I am okay Dani, you don't need to worry at all. I am strong with you by my side."

I cuddle into Sloane and she places a gentle kiss upon my head..