Chapter Seventeen

Staying at Rosies for the last two weeks was full of worry, concern and anger. I had begun to feel like I was overstaying my welcome regardless of Rosies reassurance. I tried desperately to concentrate on anything but Sloane. I even managed to get a job at a local bar to keep distracted and earn some money to survive. The nagging feelings begin to creep in again and the sensation of numbing those feelings makes me begin to long for it even more.

As I walk through the door of Rosies house, I call out but recieve no answer so I decide to head upstairs and shower after my run and get ready for work.  get ready ensuring I look amazing with makeup just incase I bump into Sloane while working or she sees me in passing. A part of me wanted her to want me and to desire me as much as I longed for her.

The first face I see as I enter Ryan's Irish Bar in town is Andy's, my new co-worker. He gives me a goofy smile as he polishes some glasses behind the bar.

"Hey, hey if it isn't the sexiest bartender I ever laid my eyes on."

I laugh playfully as I head behind the bar to store my belongings, playfully punching Andy as I pass.

"You know it boyfriend."

I joke back with him and feel at ease. We built up a playful friendship and it was a breath of fresh air in comparison to my life at the moment. He listened attentively to me as I shared my problems and issues with Sloane and seemed to genuinely care. Even though he was a year younger than me at nineteen I felt he was right on par with me and we bounced off of each other and made the gruelling shifts bareable.

As customers swarm into the bar getting ready to watch the football game I begin to wonder if tonight is the night that she will show up. Will talk to me. I didn't want to be the one chasing anymore. As I filled drinks for people and watched them fall on the bar I began to realise how strong have become to resist all of this after rehab but there was a want still there for something else.

Throughout the night I get hit on and Andy is protective and pretends I am his girlfriend to get people to back off from me. I appreciate his kindness and his protective ways over me always checking in on me. I watch the door as customers begin leaving and wave them off when a crowd of green uniforms fall through the door. I look to Andy and roll my eyes knowing that they were often persistant and sometimes violent.

What I see next is the most unexpected thing. I watch as Sloane enters the bar dressed in her uniform, removing her hat she moves towards the bar. I can't move as she approaches, feeling like everything holds me down and won't allow me to miss her. When she gets to the bar she looks around and when her eyes fall on me they soften and she looks miserably at the hat in her hands. I manage to reluctantly move to her and just about get a whisper out.

"Hi"

"Hi"

We stare at each other unsure what to say. I decide to stay in my role and break the silence between us.

"What can I get you?"

Sloane looks hurt and disappointed that I say nothing else. She pauses for a moment possibly considering what to say to me after everything that's happened between us. Even though I am excited and happy to see her, my stubborn ways always prevail and I play hard to get potentially out of stubbornis or fear of getting hurt again.

"How have you been D? I didn't know you worked here."

I don't take my eyes off her as my mind races about all the things we have missed out on in each others lives. When did she get back to work? Was she back into active duty? Where had she been? How was her recovery? Had she healed fully?

"Well there is a lot we both don't know. Now what can I get for you?"

Before the words have even passed my lips I regret them but the hurt and pain I feel make it impossible to hold it back. I see the hurt and pain etched across her face as she looks away from me and I instantly want to reach out and comfort her but she doesn't stay long enough for me.

"A beer please. Thank you."

I grab her beer and slam it on the counter before turning away. Her eyes linger on me as I walk past Andy angrily telling him I am going on a break and I storm out through the bar and out the back door to the alley.

Out in the fresh hair I take a deep breath and try to calm down. I think about what I want from Sloane. Just a reaction, a feeling, anything at all! I don't hear the door open behind me and I am torn away from my thoughts when I hear her voice, loud and assertive.

"Dani!"

I turn and see her standing across from me. She takes a deep breath and shrugs her arms which infuriates me. I begin to stomp towards her.

"I am so angry at you right now."

I fling myself into her arms and crash my lips into hers. She bends slightly picking me up and stumbles forward until we are hidden from the street lights in the alley. I kiss her hard and angrily, nipping at her lip until I taste blood but she doesn't stop and doesn't let go of me. I fumble with her belt while kissing her and then touch her boxers which are dripping already. I rub softly and feel Sloanes body jerk from my touch. I then reach inside her boxers and slide inside her. I feel tthe heat radiating from her body and her the pleasure in her moans in my hear. I kiss her neck as I continue to work on her core while she lifts the hem of my skirt up and going straight for my core. We entangle in each other as we pleasure each other to the point we worry someone will hear us from the bar.

I readjust my skirt and top and watch Sloane do her trousers back up before looking at me serious. She goes to reach for me but I can't help but pull away from her.

"Dani I love you and I am so sorry."

I begin to feel my walls crumble as she moves nearer to me and takes my hands in hers.

"You are my wife. And I love you today and everyday."

I smile and kiss her gently.

"I love you too."

We smile briefly before she looks serious again and breaks the eyecontact and I immediately know something is wrong.

"What is it Sloane? Talk to me."

She finally looks at me.

"I am being deployed tonight back to Iran to join my platoon. I have taken a senior position as captain overseas and well I don't know how long I will be or when I will be returning."

Tears stream down my face and I try to wrap my head around what is happening. Unable to process it all. I manage to croak out my final words.

"So you are breaking my heart again? You're going to just leave me like this? But I love you."

I struggle to breath from crying as she steps towards me and kisses my head.

"I will always love you."

I watch as Sloane walks to the end of the alley. She turns to look back at me as I crumble to the ground and then walks away for the last time.