Chapter Eleven

After waiting for what seemed like an enternity, Kyle finally managed to get me a hook up in here from some other people also at Oakwood. I was worried at first when the woman I had noticed around the halls came pounding into my room. It was almost midnight of my first night and Kyle managed to hook me up straight away so I had everything I needed. I sat staring at the drugs sat on my sidetable and my heart begins to pound. The gush of blood runs through me and I realise how it would feel to have the white powder rac through my veins and bloodstream.

I end up falling asleep staring at the drugs without ever taking them. I feel like Sloane was the voice that was holding me back from touching it. I was awoke by a loud screeching noise and when I open my groggy eyes and wipe the sleep, I see Nurse Roberts standing over screaming.

"Doctor! Doctor! Room five now! Hurry!"

I managed to push myself up and look at Nurse Roberts who is shaking her head and looking extremely disappointed. She seems angry as checks my pulse and temperature before getting me out of the bed and into the shower. I oblige her and follow her instructions knowing I have messed up with the drugs.

"I'm sorry Nur - I - uh - I didn't actuall - take any."

Nurse Roberts strips me down and scrubs my skin as I sit on the floor of the shower. The pressure of her hands on my skin inform me straight away that she is angry and frustrated with me. I cry out to myself as water falls all around me and splats off my golden skin.

"Why? Why would you do it Danielle? Why even have it?"

I stay silent as Nurse Roberts helps me out of the shower and helps me pull on clothes. I immediately notice that the drugs are gone and a lot of mmy belongings have been cleared from the room as well as my phone confiscated. I begin crying again and Nurse Roberts now in a firm tone of voice catches my attention.

"Look at me Dani, you made a mistake and now you need to earn back our trust which will require hardwork but you will recieve your belongsings as a reward."

At that Nurse Roberts begins to leave my room but stops at my desk and picks up my wedding band and necklace and walks out of the room. I chase after her but realise the door is lock so I bang, kick and scream at the door. I slump at the door and scream at the top of lungs before hiding my head in my knees and crying again.

I stay with my back against the door even when Doctors and Nurses try to enter into the room blocking their entrance which leads to frustration. I refuse to give in until they give back my ring when I hear a gentle knock on the door.

"Dani, baby? It's me. Can you let me in babe? I've come to see you."

I recognise the voice immediately and I shoot to my feet and open the door. Sloane is kneeling at the door and rises as I see her. She looks tired and disheveled. She cannot hide the look of disappointment as she looks me up and down then reaches out to cuddle me. I hold onto her tightly hoping to never let go again. I feel her strong muscles as she lifts me up and I wrap my legs around her waist. When I hop down, Sloane walks to my stripped down bed and sits looking exhausted. I rush to her kneeling right in front of her.

"I'm so sorry Sloane. I swear I didn't take anything. I couldn't, I didn't want to disappoint you. You hate me now. I know it I feel it."

I try to pull Sloanes hands away from her face but she refuses to budge so I slump back and feel defeated. Sloane doesn't say or do anything for a long moment before reaching out and caressing my cheek.

"I can't lie Dani and say I'm not disappointed. But I definitely do not hate you. I care about you so much which is why I am so hurt right now."

I watch as tears stream down her face and it hits me that someone cares about me now, like really cares. I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside and I can't hold back from kissing her gently as our tears stained our cheeks.

"I know babe, I am so sorry but you need to know I didn't touch it. I want to change but it hurts too much being here with these people."

Sloane pulls me closer to her chest gently whisphering in my ear.

"Why do it Dani? I have given you everything."

I can't hold back my tears and I finally tell her what has been happening with Jay and the pain of abandonment and wanting to numb it all completely. Sloane rubs her head and gives my forehead a gently kiss before standing up to leave the room.

"Sloaneee please. SAY SOMETHING!!"

She turns suddenly her hand on the door handle and looks at me. Her eyes bore deep into my soul and I begin to well up as I know she sees exactly what's happening and I have nowhere to hide.

"I love you Dani. I know I shouldn't but I love you. You deserve to be happy which is why I'm leaving now and I'm not coming back. I can't stand to lose another wife Dani, I won't so I can't do this anymore. I am being deployed to Iraq and I don't know when or even if I will be returning so take what I have and get better but do it for you. Become an amazing social worker and achieve your dreams and maybe I will cross paths with you again."

We stare at each as tears stream down our faces. I am completely dumbfound and have no words knowing that I completely ruined the one woman that changed mmy life. I watch her turn her back and walk out of the room and I fall into a slump on the floor crying..