Chapter Five

All through the night I stay up with Sloane as she throws up and blabbers about a wife and child and then cries uncontrollably. I comfort her as much as possible trying ease her pain while not understanding a thing that is happening. I lie awake the whole night on the bed beside her making sure nothing bad happens.

When my alarm finally sounds, I jolt upright realising I must have snoozed off to sleep. I feel Sloane stir beside me so I jump up and move to her side of the bed to check on her. Before she wakes, I head to make her some coffee. As I am making the coffee, I hear some movement from the room and then a series of muffled swearing which I can't help but giggle at. She walks out of the bedroom dressed in her camoflauge cargo pants and a green tshirt with her jacket in hand and her hair messily put up in a bun, I find a hitch in my breath at the sight of how good she looks. She stops the moment she sees me and I see the instant regret yet hunger when she sees me standing in just a tshirt and my underwear. She rubs her face out of frustration speaking in a husky, tired voice.

"Dani I'm so sorry. Please tell me nothing happened last night."

I laugh as I move towards her with a cup of coffee handing it to her. I see her eyes trail over the curves of my body and focus on the outline of my nipples through the tshirt and can't help but push them up a little for her. She lets out a deep breath and laughs as she moves towards the couch with her coffee. I grab a cup myself and sit across from her.

"So nothing at all happened Sloane, I just found you a drunken mess at the bar and decided to take you home to make sure you were safe."

Sloane takes a sigh of relief before turning to you again.

"Why were you at the bar Dani? You know Kyle hangs around there."

Our smiles disappear and we both know that the conversation has been opened up now.

"Speaking of Kyle, he told me you paid off my debt. Why would you do that?"

Sloane looks away momentarily and then focuses back on me.

"Look Dani, I'm not stupid I know you have a drug problem and from the state of bottles around possibly alcohol too. But for some reason, I can't keep away from you. I really like you. I know you've already told me you're not gay but I don't care about that I just want to be whatever I can around you whether friends or whatever but I also don't want to hurt you which is why I didn't want to carry on whatever this is any further."

I don't break eye contact with Sloane as I pause, deliberating whether to speak freely.

"Sloane I really like you but you are aware that this is all new to me and I have never had anyone who knows about my issues want to stick around. I want to stay friends and I don't want to lose you. I do have a lot of problems so I completely understand if you can't deal with this."

Sloane gives a little smile before reaching across taking hold of my hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"I know we don't know each other loads but I want to know all of you. But I do want to make sure that I help you through this addiction Dani."

I pull my hand away and then stand up and walk away from Sloane. She stands and tries to address me but my mind is racing and I feel like she wants to fix me rather than treat me like a normal woman. I bang the dishes in the sink before huffing over it. She addresses me calmly and gently.

"Dani, I am sorry I don't mean to push."

I turn swiftly anger welling up inside of me.

"How can I afford any of this treatment and rehab Sloane?"

Sloane scratches the back of her head only suddenly realising the actual situation is that I am in. I can see the disappointment and upset all over her face as she lays her cup on the counter and heads for the door. Before she leaves she looks back at me still standing over the sink.

"Dani, I am willing to do whatever I can to help you and if you give me a chance I can figure this out for you. We will do it together!"

                                                                                                         *************************************

I head to work and carry out my normal shift. I wait for Sloane to show up but I already know that she most definitely will not show up today after the conversation we had this morning. My shift seems to go on longer than ever since Sloane diesn't come which  usually enjoy having here to talk to and catch a glance with. I get through though with images of her muscly tattooed arms in my bed and her soft, heavy breathing from her deep sleep. I look down at my finger tips and imagine them rubbing her back softly again and I get tingly inside.

After my shift, I decide to head home without stopping for anything to get me through the night. When I arrive and pull up, I see Sloane sitting on the doorstep of my apartment clearly waiting for me. She stands when she sees me but doesn't smile this time, instead she looks at my with a serious look that sees straight through me.

"I came by because I know how I can help you."

I let out an exasperate breath and walk past her ignoring what she has said before she grabs my hand.

"Come out for dinner with me and I will explain it all, please."

I look down at her hand and then look at her properly. She's not in her uniform anymore but in a pair of loose fitting jeans and a tshirt with a flannel and I can't help but want to touch her. I look down at my grimy diner apron and then back at her.

"Please, give me fifteen minutes to change and we can go."

I change into my favourite black dress and some heels and walk with Sloane to her car. She holds the door open of the car and retaurant and tells me I look beautiful, incredible and amazing all within the first ten minutes. I feel flutters in my tummy as she compliments me.

Sitting in the restaurant I choose a pasta dish and Sloane chooses a steak and salad and we both begin to make some small chat before the food arrives. As we eat, I can't help but ask Sloane the question we came here to answer.

"So Sloane, you said you could help. How?"

Sloane gives me a serious look but never ever breaks eye contact. I can almost feel the tension between us.

"We could get married..."