Chapter 8

Willa's stomach growled loudly, begging for food, and water. She tried to convince herself otherwise, because now that Willa had a soft feeling running through her, she couldn't risk Schaffel for her own personal gain. 

She'd stay here until she would starve to death if she must.

Suddenly, a loud chatter came from the hallway. Willa jumped at the sound, and quickly crawled to the door and placed her ear up against it listening.

"The boy is the only thing that can kill us," one of the monsters said. "I still don't understand why he wasn't with the girl. He should've been. But it was only her."

"He has powers!" The one guy slapped the other.

Willa's eyes widened.

He must've gone unintentionally invisible again, Willa kept listening.

"Taking him, and these dumb gullible humans will be easy. Earth will only be shreds of rock and pumice in the end." The one giggled. "They'll get what they deserve."

What they deserve?

"It won't be easy Buzz, they've advanced a lot. But the boy will be the most difficult nuisance to get rid of." The other replied.

Then the leader responded, his voice low and like a growl. "Nothing we can't handle."

The sound of slimy, loud footsteps faded and they left.

Willa turned, leaning her back against the door, and sighed. "Schaffel's in trouble, and I can't save him." Her voice broke, as she shoved her face in her hands. "I'll be stuck in here, and he'll die."

What should I do?

Suddenly, another sound approached, softer and lighter. Willa removed her hands from her face, as the footsteps drew nearer. 

Willa moved back, into the darkness of her cell. Finally the footsteps stopped and the door opened. 

"Jan?" Willa couldn't believe it, why was he here? In her cell? 

"Willa, I have many things to tell you." He said, with puffy eyes and a broken voice.

"I have no interest." She crossed her arms and turned away. 

Jan sighed, and looked into Willa's eyes. He knew she was listening, and that she wanted to, but she was afraid of the consequences if she did. 

"I'm not a Nazi, Willa," He started. "I am protecting you. I heard about what happened in Poland, and I had no idea what to do. I thought you died. I was lost, you were like the daughter I never had, Willa." He sniffled. 

Willa turned her head, her eyes soft and sympathetic. But anger still raged deep down.

"The Nazis heard of my work, so they wanted me to help you. Yes, they wanted to use you, but I had no choice. They were going to kill you and me if I didn't contribute." Willa could see the glimmer in his eyes from Jan's tears. "Doing the research Willa, the brain disease wasn't just random and small." 

Willa listened attentively. 

"It was from the bomb in '39, in Poland. That's why you survived. It went through you and caused so much radiation to your brain it caused the brain disease. I had to help you, hoping you would escape from Helsinki. But it was severe, and growing worse than I had imagined. The only way was to remove your memories."

Willa exhaled her breath and turned away. 

"I'm not trying to hurt you, nor am I teaming with the Nazis. I'm trying to help you."