Chapter 16

Phoebes

Schaffel caressed the beautiful Phoenix, which heated beneath his fingers. He giggled, as he pulled his hand away. The Phoenix shuffled its feathers, spreading its wings, and flying off. T

he Emperor stood by him watching attentively. Schaffel wiped his purple robe, "How did I do?" "Great actually." The Emperor replied.

Schaffel smiled and opened his map, looking down at the thousands of other life forms roaming Phoebes.

"We still have much to do, Emperor." Schaffel patted the bird. "Much to fix."

Schaffel sighed and leaned against the bird's back. "I didn't think being the Emperor would be as hard as it is."

The bird turned to him, its eyes turning purple. "You're doing great."

Schaffel pushed his now somewhat longer hair back. "Still doesn't make it easier."

The Emperor laughed. "You'll get used to it." The bird wrapped its soft wing around Schaffel, and purred as he stroked it. "Emperor, why didn't you tell me the truth about the Imods?" Schaffel asked.

The Emperor looked at him and sighed. "I thought it was best to find it out yourself." He smiled to himself. "Turns out not everyone's the good guy, not even the Cadmusians. I wanted you to know that Schaffel, me and my people did awful things, too. I didn't want you making that mistake, too."

Schaffel smiled and nodded, "I won't."

He began to think of the Imods. Especially Ubel. Though he and his companions were gone, which was a relief, Schaffel couldn't help but sympathize with them. They were treated unfairly, and bullied, pushed into the shadows by the Cadmusians. When the Imods finally came out of the shadows, they killed almost a whole population, and destroyed a whole planet, only to be used again by the humans. The humans enslaved the Imods, took their weapons and inventions. He completely understood Ubel's feelings to rebel.

But now that some Imods remained, he wanted them and their children to be treated fairly, unlike how they previously were. 

"How's Earth doing?" Schaffel asked, trying to cut off his own thoughts, and change the conversation.

The Emperor's eyes shone with relief. "The war is over. Your speech seems to have made quite the effect."

Schaffel smiled genuinely. "That's good." 

"I still visit sometimes...It truly is beautiful." The Emperor said.

Schaffel's sniffled quietly. It was a special day today, which he never forgot.

It was the day he met Willa, the person who forever changed him, the person who was his true best friend.

"I know it's been hard for you, since what happened a few years ago." The bird's eyes looked down. "Mourning over it you know she would hate."

Schaffel laughed through his tears, imagining Willa's irritated face. 

Though he wasn't ready for her to go, she wanted to, and was ready. Schaffel was happy that she was finally at peace. 

Suddenly he heard a voice, usually he heard many, but this was only one. It was a familiar voice, whispering what it had been telling him all along: Stay strong

WTF. It's done...officially kwjdhwefqeljnf

Thank you so much for reading and for the support you've given me on this book! Very much appreciated!