40

Thinking back, maybe you should have stayed home with William. For the past two days, the animatronics have been... acting strange. No one else has seemed to notice, which bothers you. Are you the one going crazy? No, that can't be it.

The animatronics aren't doing anything too weird. They aren't biting a kids head off or anything like that. They just seem different. You've tried to bring this up to Jeremy and Mr. Guy, but they didn't see anything wrong with them.

What really disturbs you is how William tried to make you stay home, as if he knew about the sudden change the animatronics will have. Did he have a part in this? It wouldn't surprise you. He knows his way around the mechanics and knows how to deal with them. He made that clear when he was acting as Dave. He told you about the time the facial recognition scans recognized him, and he dealt with that. He didn't tell you all the details, but based on what you remember, you're sure you can put the pieces together yourself.

It just doesn't make sense. Why in the world would William come here? You know he sometimes visits to take some parts for his studies. But he stopped that once he realized you could do it for him. And taking parts from the old animatronics doesn't require dealing with the new ones. What is happening?

Joan walked through the door. It's quite early in the day, so this isn't normal. This morning already seemed off for you. William didn't say goodbye to you, and when you arrived at work, you made direct eye contact with the animatronics. Were their eyes always that creepy? You didn't notice.

"Hey, Joan! What are you doing here this early?" Jeremy asks. You and Mike exchange a glance, having no clue why she was here. Of course she's welcome to be here, but it's unusual.

Mr. Guy turned to see her as well. He seems as confused as we are. "Is everything alrig-"

"Boss, we need to talk." Joan cuts Mr. Guy's words off. The two of them walk around a corner into a different room. Jeremy signals for you and Mike to follow them. You're hesitant to eavesdrop, but you follow anyway. The three of you start to listen in on their conversation.

"I-Is there something wrong, Ms. Madruga?"

Joan places her hand on Mr. Guy's shoulder. What is going on? "I'm not sure how I should say it, but... I don't think I can do this anymore, boss."

Does that mean what you think it means? "... what are you talking about? I don't understand," Mr. Guy asks.

"Working here has been a blast, don't get me wrong, but these... animatronics." Wait- maybe you aren't crazy! Yes! "I just- they're freaking me out. They always have been, since the beginning. I mean, the links to those missing kids, whatever that was... I don't want to be a part of it. And recently, the animatronics have been acting weird."

That solves it! You aren't crazy! You aren't seeing things. But that leads you to many other questions, particularly around why. Why the sudden change? They were as nice as animatronics could be until a couple days ago.

Jeremy leaves his hiding spot, upset with what he was hearing. "You mean- you're leaving?!" Jeremy exclaims. Oh, you still hadn't thought about that.

"Not leaving you guys! Just leaving the night shift," she explains. You follow Mike to his spot beside Jeremy.

Mr. Guy cuts in with a question of his own. "Uh, what do you mean, "acting weird"? They seem to be just fine to me, right?" He looks towards the three of you, looking for your opinions. The other two shrug, having not noticed anything different.

"I haven't been around during the day to observe this, but the main ones are acting aggressive. Just last night one of them tried to kill me, for god's sake!" That's worse than what you thought. Of course you know of the animatronics being dangerous, but not with Joan. Joan's never done anything wrong to them. "And not only that, but the scrap models are leaving the parts and service room as well."