𝟎𝟑

"Scarlett Ester you absolute queen! You've done it again!"

Walking into my office, I see my associate and director with cake and a balloon on my desk, applauding me for just winning a case.

"You guys! How many times have I said that you don't need to do this every time I win a case?" I hug my director, Joceyln who has basically been my mentor since day one.

"When you're my best lawyer in this firm, I have to celebrate it all the time." She hands me a glass of champagne, clinking our glasses together with my associate, Aurelia. "That was a great fight on the court today. After months of this case, you won. All the hard work goes to you, Scarlett."

"Actually, I owe this one to Aurelia. She's been up with me all night every day trying to find a lead on the case. Look where we ended up today." I smile at her and she gives one back.

I look down at my desk to not only see a whole cake but a brown file with my name written on it. "Uh, what's that Joceyln?" I ask her because she knows exactly what it is and I know what it is but I needed to hear it from her.

"I'll let you read the file in your own time but you have a meeting today with Mr Elijah Miller at four pm, right?"

Yes. Apparently the most feared man in America. I give a nod to Joceyln, checking the time to see that I have hours before I go meet with him. "Yes, I'm meeting with him today. That file, is it his case?" I ask.

"Yes. It has all the details about the case and background information about his family. Look, Scarlett, you were recommended and I'm guessing his assistant called up for this meeting. But be careful, this man could be anything but dangerous." Jocelyn tries to warn me about Elijah and with a reassuring smile, I let her know that I'll be okay with this smile.

"This should be interesting," I murmur, walking over to grab the file off my desk.

"I'll leave you to it then, Scarlett. And good luck, you've got this!" Jocelyn pats my back, walking away out of my office with pride. Letting out a huff, I open the file and skimmer over the papers.

"Aurelia, can you do me a favour and get me a whiteboard so I can connect some dots."

"Alright."

Dalia Miller. A little girl who just turned three and the daughter of Elijah Miller and the heir to the American Mafia. Elijah Miller. Leader of the American Mafia owns multiple businesses around New York and is currently a single dad.

"Single dad huh?" Muttering to myself, I scan over their photos.

So beautiful.

It's the only word to describe them both. Like father, like daughter. Sapphire blue eyes, golden blonde locks, a dimpled smile on Dalia and light freckles on both their faces. Yet on the hand, Elijah has a mysterious look to himself. Those contagious, intoxicating eyes have me captivated with just one glance. But at the same time, he has a mischievous gaze, eyes filled with lust and struggles.