𝟏𝟖

"Miss Ester, you need to come to the hospital

"Miss Ester, you need to come to the hospital. Your mother has had another seizure."

24 hours. Not a single word. Not a single movement. It's like the soul in my body escaped from the time I left the office until now, besides my unconscious mother.

Those exact words I heard over the phone have been constantly repeated in my head. Particularly seizure. She could've had a sudden death. It was severe from what the doctors told me. Dried tears rest on my cheeks as I stay in the same position—not wasting a moment without her.

Maybe taking the week off was a sign. I wasn't supposed to start my week off with this unbearable news. And I certainly shouldn't be here crying my eyes out as I wait for my mother to wake up because over the past few weeks I started growing hope that she would.

"Eat something," Snapping out of my thoughts, I hear the voice of Melissa as our eyes connect instantly, "You look pale, Scarlett and it's because you haven't eaten in over twenty-four hours." She was concerned for me, I get it—I was concerned for myself.

"I don't want to eat." It took every courage out of me to say that because I knew my mother wouldn't want me to do this. But how can I eat when I see my mother falling onto her deathbed?

"Please Scarlett—"

"I said I don't want to eat! Just leave—" Almost raising my voice, I stopped knowing I was doing the wrong thing and right after it cracked, "P-Please."

I felt bad for speaking disrespectfully to her, she walks out in silence which made my heart ache even more. Dropping my head down, I squeeze my eyes shut and let out a pool of tears.

No matter how strong I act or how many times I smile, nothing can change the fact that I'm just a broken girl from a broken home that is slowly losing the one person that keeps her going.

"Ma, this is harder than I thought it would be. I thought I could do this but I'm losing every strength in me." Lips quiver as I speak, my fingers almost become numb, and my eyes find it difficult to open.

She probably can't even hear my voice. Why was I even trying? I could sit here for days, waiting for my mother to open her eyes again. The seizure took quite a toll on her body which made it weak for her to even move.

But all this fills me up with anger. I want revenge. I want to make him suffer like he's made my mother suffer. He thinks he can get away with this—my father, the devil himself. He's never been called a dad, and never will be.

"I will make him pay for this, mum. I promise you I will." A part of me trips with guilt. I blame myself for this, for not being able to stand up when I should have for my mother.

If I didn't freeze that night and watched him do what he did, I could've saved my mother. The damage that man I thought I could call father caused a lifetime of destruction in our family that we'll never be happy. But it's a promise to myself and to my mother that I will hurt him like the way he hurt us—in particular my mother.