𝟒𝟎

Sitting in this courtroom was a feeling of claustrophobia, like time was trapped in here and so was I

Sitting in this courtroom was a feeling of claustrophobia, like time was trapped in here and so was I. The longer I sit here and wait for the verdict, the more I'll believe that this was over for us—that we were going to lose this case.

I look to my right and see Scarlett sit next to me with patience, yet I knew she was just as eager to find out the results of this case. We were waiting for the judge to return and as we wait, I couldn't help but look at William Stanley.

All this time he thought he could take me down by framing me for the wrong things, but it's been turned around at smacked back into his face. He put me and my little girl through shit that no one else could do, he hurt the woman I love by framing me for murder, and taking my daughter to torment me was more than enough damage.

And amidst all of his torture, I became a survivor. I saved myself from getting killed in the worst way possible—by him.

"Please raise up from your seats as the judge is about to walk in."

Now was the time. The verdict was about to be revealed and my heart was hammering every nerve in my body, ready to explode because I couldn't take it anyone. We stand up, yet I felt like I couldn't. My chest tightens as the anticipation drags on longer than expected, almost seeming like it was on purpose.

"Jury, have you made your decision?"

Someone from the jury answers with a yes, I drop my head low, not ready to hear the verdict. If I lose the case then I'll lose Dalia. I'd be put back into prison. I would lose custody forever until she turns eighteen.

"Mr Miller in the case of this, if the jury have decided that you're guilty then you'll have custody over Dalia and she will be handed to the Stanley's. However, if the Stanleys are guilty of their actions then you will have full custody of your child." The judge says and that's the most terrifying bit, hearing what he or she says.

Scarlett takes my hand, bringing it close to her chest as we wait. The judge turns to the jury and one of them stands up with a document. "In the case of Elijah Miller, the jury has decided that Mr Miller is not guilty, and he has full custody over Dalia Miller."

"The verdict is clear. Elijah Miller is cleared of all accusations and has full custody over Dalia. The Stanley's are not allowed to be in close proximity of them otherwise they will be detained in prison."

Holy shit. I, won? It takes a moment for me to sink into the piece of information. I didn't know how to react—I couldn't move, I could utter a word, it was just pure shock. As soon as the judge bangs his hammer, I feel Scarlett push me around and into her arms, squealing, "We won, baby! Elijah, we won!"

Tears roll down my cheeks, I couldn't comprehend this moment thus so far. It takes me a minute to process it but sooner than later that I spin her around. This was real, this was the moment I'd been waiting for.