𝟑𝟏

A couple of days later

I never imagined that I would be in this situation, a situation where I'm fighting for someone that I love—one where life and death are involved. But it feels so broken, it feels so hard to pick myself up and work to win this case. And that is because I need him here beside me.

Everything feels so distant around me. Elijah's in prison, my mother isn't getting better, Dalia is living with me without her father, I'm in a mess—I don't feel like myself anymore.

I've spent the last couple of days, working day and night to gather proof to make Elijah win this case. What Elijah told me about his parents, about Amira, was all recorded on the phone for evidence. The evidence I had previously was not enough, but this was building up to something strong. Well, I hope it does. However, a part of me was afraid of showing this evidence to the judge, of showing the images of Elijah with blooded hands after killing Sebastian.

But it was self-defence. I'll say it's self-defence. Tears brim around my waterline and despite telling myself not to do this, especially when Dalia is here, I fail. It wasn't the fact that I was building up evidence for Elijah, it was the fact that I must have disappointed Jocelyn and my mother.

"Momm-y—"

Quickly wiping my tears, I turn around to see Dalia walk into the living room, voice shaky as she approaches me. She rubs her eyes, and it breaks my heart that she doesn't have Elijah to wake up to for now.

"Sweetheart, how was your sleep?" She extends her arms out for me to pick her up and as I do, I notice the small tears rolling down her cheeks. "My love, what's wrong?" Wiping her tears, I had to hold in this time. She couldn't see me like this—like I wanted to break down.

"Dada, not h-here." She was hurt. More than hurt. Traumatised even. Dalia shouldn't have gone through this; she should've kept safe which Elijah was doing perfectly. In fact, no young girl should be involved in anything.

Elijah has done everything to keep her away, but the Stanleys made her a target for every move. I know how it feels like, I've been through this myself. Having to watch my mother be abused by her husband, and watching myself get dragged into his mess was torment.

"Dalia baby, dada will come home soon. I will bring him home, remember?" Kissing her forehead, it was like I felt her pain, the ache that she was going through alone, one that she can't even share.

"I mis him." I could tell how hard she was trying not to cry but what I told her when we were kidnapped, she let herself cry. She buries her head into my chest, my heart ripping into a million pieces as I hear the sobs of a small child, calling for her father.

The only person that keeps her alive.

"It's okay, my love. I know you miss him; I miss him too, but do you remember my promise to you? I told you the other day, sweetheart." Whispering over her head, she gives me a slight nod in return and my lips turn into a sad smile.