𝟑𝟗

"Today we're here for the trial of Mr Elijah Miller and Mr William Stanley

"Today we're here for the trial of Mr Elijah Miller and Mr William Stanley. We're in the courthouse so unless you're told to speak, please keep silent. Members of the jury, your duty today will be to determine whether the defendant is guilty or not guilty based only on facts and evidence provided in this case."

As the judge speaks, nerves spark in me. I couldn't look anywhere else but at Elijah who was sitting beside me. Today was it, today was the end of everything. It was the end of something terrible or it was the beginning of something new.

Elijah was just as nervous as I was. He didn't sleep all night, nor did I. I believe that today is going to end up well, but anything can happen at court. Elijah needs his justice today otherwise it will be over. Even for us.

"We're undergoing the case of Elijah Miller who was sent a formal letter of his daughter, Dalia Miller, custody. However, during the duration of this trial, Mr Miller has been seen to be part of illegal activities which resulted in him in prison for quite a while."

Sucking in my breath, I take out my documents to start speaking but Mr Stanley's lawyer stood up first. "That is indeed correct your honour. Mr Elijah was convicted of the first-degree murder of Sebastian Whitlock. He also runs a mafia which by the evidence undergoes illegal activities." My chest constricts tight, I couldn't hear a word being said—it was all lies and he was making the judge believe every single word of his.

"Your honour, it was an act of defence. Mr Whitlock had kidnapped his daughter and me. This was conducted by no other than Mr Stanley." Sucking in my breath, this was always the worse part about the court. I was having to speak with strength and not let my emotions get through me as I defend Elijah.

"Where is the evidence, Miss Ester?" The judge asks me, and I walk to the clerk to hand in the evidence of the night we got kidnapped. My hands start shaking, fidgeting as I watch the judge scan through the evidence.

Seeing the recording on the small screen, my heart starts beating quicker than normal, I couldn't bear to watch how he threatened Elijah and how he hurt me. I look at Elijah who had his head lowered down—somewhat looking embarrassed that this happened.

"Your honour, Sebastian Whitlock was a kidnapper and attempted assault on me. He abducted a toddler in revenge for Mr Stanley and as for Mr Miller, he went out of his way to find us and save us. It was self-defence because Mr Whitlock attacked Elijah." As the video pauses, I speak up first before Stanley's lawyer spoke. I had to get it out to the world, to the people in this court that Elijah is innocent.

"How was it an act of defence when Mr Miller clearly destroyed him? Elijah Miller is one aggressive man. He's violent that keeping his daughter with him would lead to more harm, your honour!"

I knew the way he was going with this. He wanted to bring in Dalia and make it seem that Elijah hurts her. I hear Elijah curse under his breath and though I wanted to console him, I wasn't allowed. "With what the video was showing, it's clear that Mr Whitlock was indeed attempting to harass and assault Miss Ester and Mr Miller's child. As for Mr Miller, is there any other proof to prove that killing Mr Whitlock wasn't a self-defence move?"