A Taste Of the Future

It was only the 5th December when I last saw George but the tour didn't end for nearly another month and the days seemed to go so slowly. Of course George came back to Bristol on Christmas Day to see his family, but he went back up to London on the 27th for a show on the 28th which left us no time to see each other. It was strange being away from him this time, I missed him a lot but it almost felt normal, I'd been away from him for months on end, years even so the month we spent apart didn't feel as long as it should have done, but this was what life dating George Shelley was going to be like, I had to get used to it. A lot of the time when the boys weren't doing a show they were busy recording or writing songs, doing radio interviews or exploring the places they were in. Most nights after the show George would try to Skype me and we'd sit there for an hour or so at 11 o'clock at night talking about how the show had gone and then saying the things we thought we were expected to say, like 'I miss you' and 'I can't wait to see you'. After a few days, saying these things just didn't feel natural, of course we missed each other, but it was nothing compared to what we'd already been through, we stopped feeling the need to tell each other these obvious things and instead we just laughed and joked about random things.

On New Year's Eve George was in London celebrating with the rest of the boys at a house party, he'd suggested I go but there just wasn't any realistic way to go about it. At 11:30pm during a quiet night in with the family I got a text from George telling me to log in to Skype, moments later I was in my bedroom on video chat to him, he'd sneaked off to a bedroom and called me off his phone.

We hadn't been speaking for very long when there was a knock on my door.

"Come in" I shouted and my mum pushed the door open.

"Who are you speaking to?" she asked me looking puzzled.

"George" I said grinning and turning my laptop to face her so she could see his face. I'd told everyone that George and I were official when Em's dad dropped me home from the hotel the day after the concert, of course I had to explain why we'd never come home so I just came clean and told them the truth.

"Oh hello George" mum said sweetly as she walked towards the bed and sat down on the edge.

"Hey Mrs Jones" George said cheerily.

"We haven't seen you since" she took a moment to think, looking up at the ceiling then her head quickly shot back down to the screen again "gosh it was this time last year".

"Yeah it's been a while" George said looking slightly guilty.

"You really must come over sometime, especially now you and April are dating".

I smacked my hand to my head, I hadn't told George that my parents knew yet, I wasn't quite sure whether it was that serious yet "yeah sorry I kinda had to tell her when I didn't..."

"It's fine, everyone should know" he said grinning as if he was glad I'd told her, his eyes moved back to mum and he said "don't worry Mrs Jones, as soon as this tours over you won't be able to get rid of me".

Mum nudged me as if this was some sort of innuendo "ooo goody".

My mum never said goody... clearly George had the same dazzling effect on everyone.

"Well it was nice speaking to you again George" she waved at him before turning to me and saying "we'll wait 'til five past for the fireworks so you two can say happy New Year".

"You too and happy New Year" he said as she pushed herself up off the bed.

She started to walk off but then quickly ran back and whispered loud enough for George to hear "organise for him to come round for tea one evening when he gets back, yanno so we can all have a nice catch up".

I laughed but she was walking off before I could say anything else.

Either mum hadn't been loud enough for George to hear her or he really wanted to come round for tea because as soon as my door closed he said "what's that?"

I laughed again, trying to imagine mum and dad questioning George around a dinner table with the rest of my family.

"She wants me to invite you round for dinner when you finish tour".

He took this as his invitation and shouted "I'd love to".

"But wait when do you finish tour?" I asked, realising I didn't even know this.

"Last shows on Saturday the third of January and then we're all going out for like an after party type thing but I can come see you on the Sunday?"

"Really? You want to come here the day after tour finishes? Won't you be a little hungover?"

"Well yeah probably but I don't mind, I want to see you A.S.A.P".

I started smiling so much I had to lean off screen to avoid looking like a complete weirdo. I meant that much to him that he wanted to travel to see me straight after a big tour, I suddenly felt so important.

"Besides, the last show isn't too far from Bristol anyway, I'd probably have only come home either way".

"Oh".

Oh.

Not so important after all...

"I didn't mean it like that darling, no matter where the last show was, seeing you is my first priority".

Okay, I was smiling again now.

A few minutes before midnight I turned the TV on in my room and switched it to a channel with some sort of countdown. We counted away the year together and then stared at each other through the screen for a while before saying "Happy New Year!"

"Let's make this our year" he said before we said goodbye and ended the call.

I felt confident about that year as I stood watching the fireworks with my arms around Jessica's shoulders, holding her in front of me, hoping I'd never have to say goodbye to George again.