The Big Day

I didn’t sleep at all the night before I met them, when I finally decided to get up at 8am on the 21st of December 2013 I was too excited and nervous to realise how tired I was, I couldn’t eat or even stop shaking and I started to become scared.

Have you ever waited for something to arrive for so long that when it arrives you want to delay it even longer because once it’s over it’s over? Well that’s exactly how I felt when I opened my curtains that morning. I was worried that once I’d met them, George might not want to see me again and then it would be over.

I paced around my room for what felt like hours, going through what I would say and how it could pan out, over and over again in my head until I began to feel sick. I didn’t know how to prepare for the events that lay ahead of me that day. Eventually after nearly an hour of nervous pacing I rang Em.

“I was expecting this phone call” she said picking up the phone on the third ring.

“Oh really? Am I really that predictable?” I said sounding worried that there was something wrong, my hands shaking.

“Wow, this is worse than I thought it would be” she said, shocked.

“Wh-what? What’s wrong?” I stuttered.

“Calm down April, everything will go perfectly” she answered, in a calm voice.

I breathed in heavily “Yeah, you’re right” I replied, sounding a little bit calmer.

“Exactly! Just think, in just over 6 hours you’ll be stood in front of your high school crush telling him exactly how you’ve felt for the past 2 years”.

Suddenly the reality hit me and I started panicking and pacing the room again “Oh gosh. I can’t do this. He’ll hate me. Oh god”.

“Crap, sorry April, that probably wasn’t the best thing to say to you at a time like this”.

Em and I spent another 20 minutes on the phone, most of which was spent by Em trying to prepare me for meeting George and calming me down. When I finally ended the call and dropped my phone onto my bed I felt the slightest bit calmer but still not ready to meet the love of my life for the first time in 2 years.

I ended up curled up on my bed in tears because I was so overwhelmed by the whole situation and the sheer excitement mixed with nerves.

Eventually when I felt all the tears had gone, I went to get ready, in an attempt to take my mind off things. After I applied a little makeup (enough to look good but not too much that I wasn’t recognisable as the Year 9 girl who had a crush on George), I squeezed into my blue skinny jeans and pulled on a black top I’d bought especially. Just like I had the night before The Next Big Thing tour, I'd slept in plaits, so I pulled the bobbles out, primped my hair and went downstairs to be greeted by my mum at the dining table.

"Morning honey" mum said as I walked into the kitchen.

I didn't make an attempt to reply, and instead made my way to the table and sat down next to her. Lauren was sat on the opposite side of the table with dad.