Twenty

Hero

"Let's go out tomorrow, I want to show you something; I think you'll love it"

"What's that?" She turns around to face me

"It's a place where Poets get up to recite their work"

"Oooh I've seen something like that on you tube. Always thought it to be a little weird, but why not? I'll go but don't expect me to get up. I'm not a Poet, that was private just for you"

"No no don't worry. I do think you'll enjoy it" She gives me a sheepish smile "Come, let's go to bed. You're half warn out.

.  .  .

 Pulling her coat on I can feel the anxiety come off her, Why all of a sudden is she like this? I'm going to have to talk to her Mother.  "The perfect Gentleman" She smiles at me. That beautiful smile, that gives me life.

"Have I told you, you look stunning today?"

"Sssssh you've told me a million times yes!" blushing hiding her face

Removing her hand "why do you always do that? You need to stop hiding yourself" she shrugs "You're beautiful" kissing her hand but I can see it in her demeanour that she's uncomfortable. This isn't a Poetry recital today, it's a regular open mic night, so people can get up and sing, recite, stand up" she starts laughing

"Oh that sounds so much better then a night of Poetry she says sarcastically but she's laughing and that's all that matters right now.

Arriving at the club she's in awe at the sight she sees "wow it's like an old Jazz club"

"That's because it is babe" putting our coats into the coat rack. "Come let's sit at this table, they'll come and take our order" We spend the next  90 minutes laughing, singing and sometimes nodding off.

"This is amazing" she nudges me gently grinning  "Give me a few minutes I'm just popping to the loo" she whispers. 

Ten minutes later when I'm wondering where she is when the compare announces the next act 

"ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome to the stage Alice Wentworth"

"What the...?!" She's standing there looking so shy, her eyes are sparkling in the lights. Then she catches my eye and she's beaming, Gosh I can't help but beam back at her. I've heard her sing messing around in the car but nothing serious.

"Heart beats fast, colours and promises, How to be brave? How can I love when I'm afraid to fall ?

She takes my breath away, I find I'm transfixed upon this angel on stage, my angel, and she on me. We've become One.