Chapter 3

"Y-you what?" I stutter in surprise. 

He likes me? But the way he was acting earlier made it seem like he hated me.  My mind is reeling, I can't process anything right now. He likes me? But Chris, I like Chris. Or do I? Ugh! Confusion clouds my mind as I try to think about what Nick just said. Matt stares at him in silent fury, whilst Chris looks just as shocked as I do.

"You can't." I say.  "I can't what?" Matt replies, his eyes avoiding mine.  "Y-you can't like me. You've known me less than a week. I'm sure it's just, its just something stupid, o-or you-"

I'm cut off by Chris shouting at Matt, seething with rage.

"WHAT THE HELL MATT. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, I-"

"Shut up Chris. I'm leaving. I'm done." Matt gets out the van, slamming the door behind him. Chris follows closely, and I can see through the window that he's shouting at Matt, who's still walking away. For a while I sit in shock, watching the scene unfold before my eyes, a tear trickles down my cheek but I turn away from Nick and wipe it. After a while Matt turns around and begins to shout back at Chris. This goes on for a few minutes before I decide enough is enough. "Nick I'll be back in a minute. Make sure no one steals the minivan, ok?" I tell him, trying to mask my anger and surprise with a small smile. I get out of the van. For the first time, I can hear the shouting, and it's not pretty. I couldn't comprehend what they're saying from where I'm standing no matter how hard I tried.

The argument seemed to take a dramatic turn, Matt turned and re-entered the van, seething. I looked around uncertainly, unsure which triplet to go to. I decided on Chris as he was walking alone and followed after him. 

The rain started to pour faster and I became acutely aware of my ruined hair and makeup. I caught up to Chris and he turned around, a thunderous expression on his face. He opened his mouth as if to send me back to the car but I threw my arms around him before he could make a sound. I felt his body tense before he warmed into the embrace and he returned it. Time seemed to stand still; it was Chris and I and that was it.