Chapter 9

The second I saw them my heart felt like it was going to beat right of my chest.  Neither of them looked up, but what else did I expect?  A warm embrace?  That was not going to happen after the McDonalds conversation with Chris.  Kyler went right ahead of me and sat on the chair that wasn't in between them, leaving me no choice.  Awkwardly, I perched onto the seat in the middle of Matt and Chris.  It was silent, apart from the faint chat of some nurses and doctors at the end of the corridor.  Nobody dared speak in case another argument emerged.  We couldn't do that here, especially not with Nick like this.  

About a half hour later, we had been alone with our thoughts that whole time, Matt spoke up 'I'm gonna go get a drink from the vending machine down there.'  and signalled to it.  'Anyone wanna come too or does anyone want anything?'  

'Yeah, Matt can you get me a pepsi?' Chris asked him.

'Skye, can you get me one too please.'  Kyler.  Now I was forced to be practically alone with Matt, in front of Chris too.  I didn't even react physically, I didn't want things to get worse.  

'It's fine, I can get them all.'  Matt was so nice.  But I might as well go, I hadn't done anything for the last half hour anyways.  

'No, I'm kinda thirsty too and you can't carry them all.'  I slightly smiled.  Matt reciprocated it.  I didn't even want to see the look on Chris' face right now.  Again there was silence so we both immediately got up and started walking with him.  

As soon as we reached the machine and started putting in our money,  Matt said 'Thank you for coming today, I'm sure Nick appreciates it more than he ever shows.'  I felt Chris and Kyler's eyes on Matt and I talking.  'Well, you know, we all owe it to him, he's always here for us.  If it was anyone else he'd be the first to sprint down to the hospital.'  Speaking about him, Matt's eyes welled up, but he was trying to hold back the tears flooding.  'That's Nick, alright.' and we both smiled.  "I'm going to get some air." Kyler said "I'll come with you, Chris said. "I have something i need to get." Chris and Kyler quickly left, leaving me and Matt alone. Their absence seemed only to heighten my emotions. I glanced over at Matt.

One tear went down racing down his cheek, and before he could wipe it, I brought my hand up and removed it myself.  I noticed Matt staring intensely at me so I looked away, focusing on the vending machine. I could still feel his gaze and those familiar feelings returned. I turned to look at him again and began to speak but he leaned in, pressing his lips softly against mine. I let out a small gasp before accepting it. I don't know if it was the stress of the current events or... something else but it felt right.  Suddenly, we heard the soft thud of something falling to the ground. Matt broke away from the kiss and stared in shock at Chris, who had turned the corner and witnessed the scene.

"Chris, it's not what you think-." Matt pleaded. I only now noticed the flowers lying by his feet. Were they for me? "Oh god Chris." I whispered. Chris turned and left angrily without a word. Feeling helpless, I looked between Matt and the now empty doorframe. I go to follow him, but Matt grabs my wrist "Give him some air." He said. This time I let the tears fall freely.