Save the Last Dance for Me - Michael Bublé

I looked behind me again to see who it was that he was talking to. No one was there. Could he really mean me?? I turned back around, confusion bore into my face.

"Me?"

He flashed an encouraging tight-lipped smile.

"Yeah, did you not want to?"

I snapped out of befuddlement, "Oh no it's not that, I just don't usually dance..."

"Neither do I," he said holding the same smile "but I figured, 'why not?' and I noticed you sitting here so I thought I'd ask you. You seemed a bit bored."

By now he had his hand held out to me. I couldn't really say no, could I? Without further thought I took his hand and he led us to the dance floor. Just as we found our spot in the middle of the dance floor the track stopped and I heard my aunt yell.

"Un disco para los gringos!!!"

I giggled to myself. Nick raised an eyebrow in question.

"Um, they're changing the song for you and Joe."

Nick let out a small chuckle.

Just then the song started. I knew this song by heart.

"Now this I know."

Nick placed a hand on my back and led while my family encircled us and chanted.

I pretended I wasn't blushing and focused all of my attention on his feet as he set the pace. It took me a minute to figure out how to dance with a partner but as soon as I showed any semblance of proficiency Nick began to twirl me around.

I ignored the fact that my entire body felt overwhelmed with the need to jump up and down like a small child and prayed that I wouldn't step on him.

"You can dance, go and carry on, 'til the night is gone and it's time to go..... Save the last dance for me."

The song didn't last very long. Spanish music began blasting through the speakers again. I took Nick's hands and taught him the basics which he managed to pick up fairly quickly. He fit in quite well at the party.

Eventually, my high heels, which almost made me look average height, tired me out and Nick accompanied me to sit down.

"I thought you didn't dance?" He mentioned as I directed my eyes to the floor again.

"I think most of that was you, leading me into... not your feet?"

Was that a sentence? I don't think that was a sentence. Why am I talking in not sentences?

Nick chuckled beside me, "well, you were very good at dancing on 'not my feet.'"

I kept my eyes down and tried to avoid the embarrassment of letting him see the bright color on my cheeks.

"So, what is your relation to the birthday girl?"

I looked up and saw an encouraging smile playing on his features. I couldn't help but return the smile.

"She's my niece." I responded, shyly.

"Oh, are you Vanessa?"

"Um, yeah, that's me."

"You're the one who hired us, right?"

I thought about it for a moment and pondered the strangeness of the fact that Nick was technically working for me.

"I suppose I did," I answered with a shrug.

"That's a very kind thing to do for your niece. What made you decide to call us."