Hollywood - Shwayze

After lunch I felt myself dozing off during fifth period. I heard the people at my table quietly laughing at me.

"Damn, who are we supposed to copy off of now?"

"For real, I don't understand half of the topics in this class."
"Do you think she's high?"

"I'm not high." I looked down at the worksheet scanning through the questions. "Examples of symbolism include the faded and chipping green walls that the dead bodies are leaning against. It's the vanishing hope after each new person drops dead."

"Well, fuck," the guy next to me, Gilbert, chuckled.

"Does the green thing also expand to Justin Timberlake's eyes?" Jacklyn laughed.

I looked up exhausted, glancing at the screen. "It could, it's really faint so it would fit his character, but I suspect that's just a lucky coincidence."

"But his eyes are blue in real life."

I looked over at the screen again, "are they? That's some good costume design."

Mr. Malik placed a hand on my shoulder causing me to flinch, "what a fucking nerd, can't even sleep in class right," he teased me.

His hand grazed across my back as he walked away and I resisted the urge to shudder.

"Ugh, he's fucking creepy," Jacklyn whispered.

Gilbert laughed beside me, "damn, that's hella shady. Who do you think is worse, him or Ms. Gilliam?"

I rolled my eyes, "Ms. Gilliam is a blind art teacher who gave me a B on my toothpick sculpture because I finished too soon."

Jacklyn frowned, "what the fuck, why?"

Gilbert smirked, "cause Daniel was too busy lining up toothpicks for her to do his own work and everyone else just fucked around too much."

"Whose Daniel?"
"The soccer player from art class last year who had a crush on Vanessa."

"He did not," I argued.

Joshua raised his eyebrows with a grin, "Dang, first Angel in the fifth grade, then Daniel, and now Mr. Malik? What a tease!"

I rolled my eyes, "y'all are dumb, shut up!"

"Hey, you buttheads, keep it down, don't make me fail you," Mr. Malik teased.

"For a guy in his thirties, he's trying too hard to be relatable," Jacklyn whispered.

There was a knock at the door before Jerry poked his head in.

He scanned the room before his eyes landed on me and he smiled warmly.

"Can I help you?" Mr. Malik asked.

"Just making sure everyone is where they should be," Jerry responded before stepping back out.

"He's cute," Jacklyn noted as Jerry left the room.

"He's gay!" Joshua's face twisted in disgust.

Gilbert laughed, "no way! How do you know?"

"Dude! He's the wrestling coach! He's been wrestling with guys since he was in high school like 15 years ago? That's highly suspect."

I rolled my eyes, "Jerry's not gay!"

Gilbert laughed, "I heard he's been trying to get it in with that math teacher, Ms.... What was her name? The one with the fat ass..."
Jacklyn tried to disguise her smile, "you guys are so nasty!"

"Why me, he's the one trying to take her for a spin," Gilbert defended himself.

Joshua shook his head with a chuckle while Jacklyn and I shared a look of disappointment.