Lean On Me - Bill Withers

Friday evening I loaded the practice balls and bats into my trunk as my girls slowly dwindled down to one.

"Coach Nessie, my mom isn't answering her phone."

"Okay, love, give me one second and I'll try giving her a call, okay?"

I made my way to the driver's side to grab my phone from the center console. I scrolled through my contacts before finding Lara's mom's number. She didn't answer.

Voicemail? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do in this situation.

Lara and I sat on the curb for a while waiting for her parents. I'd have taken her home myself but it's against policy so here I am later than I ever anticipated.

About half an hour after practice had ended, I was finally in my car headed home.

I pulled up to my street to find a black vintage Mustang sitting outside my house... I'd kill for that car.

As I got closer to my home I noticed the driver wearing raybans and perfect curls. Is that?

He looked over at me with a look that clearly said 'you're late.'

I pulled into my driveway before hopping out of my car. Nick began walking up my driveway with his raybans still firmly over his eyes.

"Nick?"

"You're late."

"I had a kid who-"

I could have sworn I saw him scan my outfit. But then again, I could be delusional.

"Where's your gear?"

"My softball stuff?"

Nick looked at me deadeyed... I think... he's still wearing the shades.

"It's in the trunk?"

He walked toward the trunk of my car. "Open up, we're late."

"Late for what?" I asked, confused.

"The game you signed up for?"

He smirked like I was suddenly chickening out.

"No one told me when the game would be."

Nick sighed, "of course, that's why you don't leave things up to Joe."

I didn't think Nick would be so easily agitated.

He pulled his shades off before tucking them into his shirt. "Can you please open the trunk?"

"Right, sorry."

I pressed the button on my key fob as the trunk popped open.

Nick looked in to see my practice ball bucket had knocked over in transit and now my trunk looked like an unfinished game of "Hungry, Hungry Hippo."

"What should I grab?" he asked.

"I can get it, I just need my bat and my glove," I reached into my monogrammed bag for my tools.

I turned around and for a split second I could have sworn I saw Nick watching me. Then again, I could be imagining things, right? I mean really?

I closed my trunk and followed behind Nick back down the driveway to his vehicle parked outside.

He opened the trunk. "Just drop your items in there."

I did as he instructed and made my way to the driver's side to wait for him to unlock the car.

Nick walked over toward me and stared at me for a moment before he spoke up. "I need you to take a step back."

I did as he asked and he unlocked the door before opening it himself.