Chapter 52: Aidan

I looked at my long-lost twin and felt that something I'd been looking for. My life felt complete. Right then, I knew that I didn't need to meet our parents, his word being enough for me. Part of me was pissed at them for denying me my brother, but my life would probably look very different if they hadn't made the choices they did and I wouldn't give up my current life, or Callie, for anything.

"I suppose that it's good we didn't grow up with our parents then," I finally said.

"I guess it depends on your point of view. Do you think growing up in and out of foster homes is better than having your parents around?"

"Right now? Yeah, I do believe that. Sounds like our parents were real pieces of work, so I can't imagine being happy with them either. And who's to say we wouldn't have ended up just like them?"

"You forget brother, one of us did." Self-disgust covered his face. I knew he hated the fact that he'd ended up being like our parents, but he was so wrong about that.

"No, brother, you didn't. Our parents chose helpless people to victimize. You did what you had to do to survive, and no one can fault you for that. Plus, you chose completely different targets. You were more like Robin Hood, not the Sheriff of Nottingham."

A reluctant smile crossed his face. "Funny, some people in my circle called me that too."

"Steal from the rich, give to the poor, eh?" I said and grinned at him

"Yeah, something like that."

"See then, you're nothing like our parents. Just because we're a bunch of persuasive bastards doesn't mean that we have to be bad."

He visibly relaxed at my sure words. "Sorry I didn't come forward sooner. You looked a bit busy anyway."

"You have no fuckin' clue brother." I sighed and shook my head lightly.

"Tell me."

"Alright, but we're going to need another drink." Calder got up to re-fill our glasses and I began to tell him mine and Callie's story from the moment the smoothie hit my face to when we walked in the room. He looked incredulous, which I couldn't blame him for. I sounded fucking crazy, talking about goddesses and visions and shit. If I hadn't experienced it for myself there's no way I would've believed it.

I finished the story and the room fell quiet. Calder and I lifted our hands to run them through our hair at the same time, prompting rueful chuckles from us both before he finally spoke.

"Shit man, that's the craziest story I've ever heard."

I laughed and nodded. "I know. And every word is true. I'm just lucky to have gotten Callie back." I tipped the rest of his drink back, deciding to tell him what I'd been thinking about recently. "I think I'm going to propose soon."

He stood up immediately and pulled me in for a quick hug. "That's awesome man! I'm invited to the wedding right?"

"As long as you don't go pick-pocketing everyone," I joked.

"Damn, never mind then." We laughed, but I was sincere about him coming to the wedding and wanted to make sure he knew that.

"In all seriousness Calder, I would be honored for you to be at my wedding. Whenever that happens. I wouldn't want to do it without you."

He cleared his throat and I pretended not to notice his eyes getting wet. "Nothing could keep me away."

I nodded, the feelings in my chest about to burst. "Ahem! Well, now that that's settled... Tell me what the hell was going on between you and Lucy when I got here."