8. Back To Work

Jax

It has been a week since I have seen Sasha. It took all my strength to let her leave. Everything in my body told me to stop her. That I was making a huge mistake. That she wouldn't forgive me. But just one kiss was all it took for me to be addicted to her. I craved her.

I have had many one-night stands in the past. It's sadly something I am well known for. But being with her. It was different. I want more. She is the first woman I have ever felt a connection with. A relationship with her might not be the worst thing to happen. But like I always I ruined it. The fear of losing her makes me want to push her away.

To keep myself from running to find her I have kept myself busy with work. I am out getting my revenge on Aquarius. I am taking out his enforcers one by one. Many of his warehouses also were burned down along the way.

Aquarius isn't very smart they are easy to find. I had Dougie hack Aquarius contract killer page. I would show up and kill the vampires before they could execute their victims. I had killed at least 20 of his men in the week. Not to mention the ones in the warehouses.

Tonight I am going after another. A vampire named Bruno. He is going after a werewolf named Dexter. Apparently Dexter is the next alpha of the Red Moon Pack. Aquarius had a deal with the last alpha. But I heard the new one refused to do business with him. That's why he wants him dead.

Normally, I avoid werewolves, I don't particularly like them. They don't share their women and they stink. The only werewolf I have been civil with is Malachi. The king of werewolves that's on the royal council. But still, it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine. But this is my only opportunity to take down Bruno so here I am.

Standing on top of the building. I look around for Bruno. He should be getting ready to go after his target right now. I see Dexter walk out and I wait for Bruno to appear so I can jump down and surprise him but he never shows up. Dexter just gets into his car and drives away.

Hmm, that's weird.

I hear a loud breeze and thud behind me. And smell something oddly familiar. I turn around and see the last person I expected.

"Aquarius, old friend. I was wondering when I would see you again."

"Still the comedian I see Jax." He says coldly.

He still looks the same. His hair still going gray, with his brown eyes and slim build. He doesn't look a day over thirty despite being seventy years old.

"So when did you find out it was me or did you just come because you miss my handsome face?" I fold my arms. I'm not intimidated by this asshole. He never gets his hands dirty. I'm not even sure he can fight.

"I got reports of my men going missing. Warehouses burned down. I wondered who would take out my men. Who would have the motivation and also the skill? So I set up this trap hoping whoever it was would show up and here you are."

"Well, are you surprised? I was your right-hand man and you tossed me away like I was rubbish!" I yell angrily causing my fangs to come out and my eyes to turn red.

"And I'm here to say I was wrong. You are the best and I want you back Jax. Join me at my side again. Become my partner. Help me run my empire." He smiles and I scoff.

I don't want to join him. But I know this could make the plan to take his empire down easier. I might even be able to keep Swift safe. Her safety and well-being are everything to me. Even if I have to hurt her feelings to do it.

"I will join you but you must tell me something first." Aquarius nods. "I want to know why you had three vampires kill a couple of witches about ten years ago. They had a human child?"

Aquarius laughs Not the reaction I was expecting at all.

"Oh, brother that's a great story. See it wasn't about the witches at all. It was about the child. She isn't human."

I laugh. There is no way Aquarius is telling the truth. I have been around Swift. She is definitely human. Of course, she is a tad stronger than most humans but with her line of work, it's expected. I stop laughing and see Aquarius is looking at me strangely.

"I'm sorry Aquarius. You said not human. What was the child then? A witch? " I ask and he smirks.

"She is half Fae. Her mother got pregnant by a human. And the Royal council wants her. But if I find her first I'm keeping her for myself."

I'm stunned. There is no way I can let Aquarius find Sasha. And even the council wants her. I have to keep her safe no matter what. And the worse part is she doesn't even know how much danger she is in.