Chapter 12: the breakup

matt dropped you off so that you could get ready for work, but you had to go fast because it was now 11:45 as it takes 10 minutes to get to your house from theirs.

once again you slipped on the first thing you saw and just ran out the door with mint gum and a ponytail on your wrist. you didn't mind running late because of the sturniolos. they have given you the most fun you've had in a while.

you've been keeping sadie updated as well but only through imessage. she ended up going on a surprise vacation since it was her senior year after this summer. you told her all about your breakup plan in the car this morning while matt drove.

you raced to panera and worked the day away. connor agreed to pick you up after work and then drop you off at your car after your "date". you were ready to break up with him, however you knew it would be hard on you, and you didn't know how he'd react. you didn't think he'd be hurt since he fucks around with other girls all the time, but then again he liked to call you his.

i'm probably his backup plan for every other girl. you thought. once his backup is gone he'll have nothing to lean on.

you tried not to think of it. you had a 5 hour shift today so it wasn't too bad, but it went by really fast because all you could think about was connor and how it would all go.

five o'clock came around super fast. you clocked out of work, waited for connor's car, and said goodbye to your coworkers when he showed up.

"hey babe." he said as you got in the car.

"hey.." you said nervously. you pushed the nerves away and smiled at him.

"so what's the plan?" he asked.

"i wanted to go out to dinner if that's ok with you."

"yea sure, where to?"

"up to you."

he nodded and drove to a nearby restaurant. he parked and you guys got out the the car and waited in a short line to be seated. it was a nice restaurant but not too over the top. you were seated in a booth where the two of you sat across from one another.

"how was your day at work babe?" connor asked you as you were looking around.

"oh, it was fine, it went really fast."

"just fine?" he looked at you with curiosity and you felt yourself get a little warm.

"yea, i mean no one really likes to go to work right?"

"i suppose so." he laughed a little while the waitress walked up to your table.

"hey there, my name is selena, i'll be your waitress today. can i get you guys started with anything to drink?"

"we'll just get a couple of waters." connor spoke for you. you saw him look the waitress up and down as she wrote.

"anything else?"

"no it's ok." you replied. "thank you."

"alright that'll be out for you shortly." she walked away while connor stared at her butt.

this is why it needs to be over. you reminded yourself. you picked up the menu and blocked him from your vision. he pulled it down to talk to you.

"know what you're getting?" he asked.

"i- i was thinking spaghetti and meatballs or something."

"really? not like a salad or anything?" that pissed you off and you put the menu right back up.

"no."

"hey, what??" he pulled it down again.

"i'm sorry if that pissed you off, i just didn't expect you to be needing spaghetti and meatballs right now, especially since you probably eat a lot at Panera while you're working."