75

There was nothing but silence and darkness

There was nothing but silence and darkness. Odette hated it. There were no windows and a single door, blocked and locked, preventing her from making her way out of the small room Tamara had trapped her in. And the longer she spent in there, the smaller the space seemed to get.

And it was also cold. Especially as Odette had managed to lose her jacket in her fight with Tamara when the woman tried to use it to pull Odette back and keep her from running away. She'd been wrong when she thought the woman hadn't noticed her watching her sneak around the docks. By the time Odette walked into the cannery, Tamara was more than ready for her.

And now, because of that, she was trapped. And if there was one thing Odette hated it was being trapped. Especially as the dark space around her, a storage room she assumed from all the examining she'd managed to do in the dark, seemed to grow thin with air the longer she stayed in there. Although maybe it was the panicky state she was in. Because no matter what Odette did to try and calm her nerves, nothing seemed to work.

There was a reason, after all, that she avoided small, enclosed spaces. And why she always kept a watchful eye on all doors whenever she went somewhere. The reality was, Odette didn't do well with captivity. And the signs were starting to show as her racing heartbeat continued to be the only sound echoing through the room while she sat on the floor, trying to calm herself long enough to think of some kind of an idea that could help her get out.

But instead, all she could keep focusing on was the darkness. She'd never been scared of the dark before, but right now, she was starting to question that. So, when for the first time ever since Tamara had stuck her in this room, she started to hear sounds coming from the other side of the door, Odette was quick to jump to attention.

Considering she'd tried banging on the door and screaming for Tamara to let her out already, this time Odette gave no sign that she registered the noise. Instead, she simply got ready as the sound of scraping metal reached her ears. She concluded it was someone on the other side, moving whatever had been blocking her way out. And she was right as a small light finally spread into the room from the gap between the floor and the door.

She waited for the familiar sound of a lock clicking around, and once the door started to open, she didn't hesitate in rushing forward. She pushed it into the person on the other side before attempting to trip them as they stumbled back. The only problem was, in an attempt to stop her, a pair of hands settled on Odette's arms, bringing her down as well.

It was only when she landed on top of the person and got an up-close look at his face that Odette realized it wasn't Tamara, but Killian who'd open the door of her cage. "Is this how you thank me for my dashing rescue?" The pirate asked with a small grunt as he tried to catch his breath from the knock he took to his chest during the fall.

"I'm sorry." She was quick to apologize, pushing away as she leaned over to the other side, allowing Killian to sit up. And he was the first to rise to his feet as well, extending his hand to her so he could help her up. For a moment, Odette just looked at it before accepting. "I am sorry. I just thought..." She trailed off, eyes glancing back to the now open door. The room wasn't actually as small as she'd thought it was.