Chapter 3 Last day

Hiccup woke to the sound of the front door slamming. Hiccup sighed and ran a hand through his brown hair. "Glad I reinforced that door when I did mine."

Hiccup stood and dressed in a red shirt and black pants. He grabbed his backpack and walked down to find a note on the kitchen counter.

"Hiccup we will be out late. There are leftovers in the fridge for dinner.
    love, mom"

Hiccup shook his head before heading out the door. He walked swiftly to Dragon Academy. He held out his ID card to the sentinel class guardians at the gate. He walked past all the classes where young heros were learning standard courses and entered the labs. Hiccup didn't need the standard courses any more and was currently working on his first year college courses. He was also working and getting paid being Gobber's lab assistant. They worked together to develop new technologies for heros. Hiccup waved at Gobber and headed for his private lab.

He set his bag down and slid into a chair. He tapped a few keys before turning to a raised dais in the center of the lab. On the dais connected to various wires was a black robot dog in the shape of a doberman with a long tail. Armor plating covered every inch of the robot. Hiccup flipped some switches causing the dog's green eyes to glow. "Alright Toothless run a diagnostic on start up."

Toothless turned the dog's head and nodded. While Toothless began slowly moving his new limbs Hiccup started unplugging the wires. Hiccup had the wires and panels taken care of by the time Toothless was done with the diagnostic. Toothless began barking causing Hiccup to dash back to his work desk. He grabbed a small chip and placed it behind his ear. After a second of pain as it attached to his nerves Hiccup smiled as the text of Toothless's speech appeared in his head. "Diagnostics complete, no errors detected. Ready to begin full movement testing."

Hiccup nodded and moved back as Toothless jumped off the dais. Toothless then began walking around the lab as Hiccup turned back to the computer. He pulled up his personal website of table designs and sales. He selected one of the tables that he thought his father would like and set it to be made. He checked other orders and set the fabrication machines to begin building the tables.

Toothless continued to walk around and test various movements as Hiccup pulled up armor designs to work on. Hiccup glanced up as Gobber walked in. He paused when he spotted Toothless walking around. "I spoke with yer father last night."

Hiccup snorted and continued working causing Gobber to sigh. "You know he loves you just as you are. You have nothin' ta prove to anyone. Yer designs have helped a lot of heros."

Hiccup scowled and turned to Gobber. "That is not the problem Gobber. The problem is no matter what I do he won't acknowledge it unless I did it as an awakened dragon hero. As such I am just a liability and useless human. I could design armor that protects heros and tools that aid humans as well but it would mean nothing. No one would know my name or that I had developed them. It just..." Hiccup sighed before turning back to the computer.

Gobber sighed as he hobbled over and place a hand on Hiccup's shoulder. "Hiccup, yer more than anyone can ever imagine. Just don't get lost in showin' the world what ya can do."

Hiccup looked up as Gobber left. Toothless walked over and rubbed his head against Hiccup's leg. Hiccup patted Toothless's metal head before turning back to the computer. He worked until the bell for lunch rang. Hiccup looked up and stretched before standing up. "Toothless stay here. I'll call you if I need you."

Toothless looked up from where he was lying by the door. He nodded and placed his head on his paws. Hiccup walked slowly to the cafeteria letting the other students get there first. As he walked in he spotted Snotlout with his friends. Fishlegs was large for a gronkle class and was often confused for a quaken class. He sat next to Ruffnut and Tuffnut Thorston. They were unique as it was very uncommon for those of zippleback class to have twins. Snotlout sat across from them flexing his arms and showing off his nightmare class flames for the last of their group.