Chapter IX

Hacke woke up, while a medical mage is trying to heal him. She's about Hacke's age, standing next to a qualified medical mage. She seems focused, but when she noticed that Hacke opened his eyes and looked at her, she blushed and stopped healing Hacke, hiding behind the other medical mage.

The man laughed, then started healing Hacke.

"Good morning Hacke. I hope you don't mind my little assistant, do you?" He asked him.

"Good morning... Uhhh. Oh no I don't mind. Hi there!" Hacke greeted her with a smile. She just hid deeper behind the medical mage.

"She's extremely shy. It's adorable." The man said, looking at her, patting her head. She did not like that.

"Well, Miss. Thank you for healing me. I'm sure one day when I'm in war and need medical help, that you'll instantly help me. Right?" Hacke asked her, she turned red completely, then nodded in agreement, hiding her face completely.

Hacke looked out of the window and saw a lot of people walking out of the college.

"Where are they going?" Hacke asked the man.

"Well. There's this strange portal on a tower, causing a lot of people to be attracted to it. Many are going out to either see what the fuss is about, or going back to their homes. The principal has given permission for all to go, but he needed a lot of convincing." The man told him.

"How so?"

"The principal doesn't trust portals, nor big ones. He said that he would've destroyed that portal if he could. He doesn't have a good feeling about it. I for one say that it's harmless, seeing that it soothes everyone, as well nothing went in or out of the portal.

"I see. Do you know how I got here by any chance?" Hacke asked the medical mage.

"I was about to ask you that. Avery here, saw that you're on one of our beds. She then called me. You woke up about an hour later. What's the last thing you remember?" He asked Hacke.

"Uhm. I did some training, maybe a bit too intense." Hacke told him.

"It's alright. What matters is that your wounds are now healed. I know that sometimes, if some of our mages or students are badly injured, while being in a different space, they get teleported here, but only if they have the silver deer." The man said to Hacke, showing him a small silver deer figure.

"Oh. That's convenient. Why can't the students have it?" Hacke asked him.

"Oh they can. I actually found one on you, which is the one I'm holding. How you got it, is what I'd like to know." The man asked Hacke, but Hacke told him he really doesn't know.

"Oh well. As a medical mage, I'm not allowed to take it from you, but just remember, only in your third year are you allowed to have one. But I'll keep this a secret. After seeing your wounds, I can tell that you'll be a lot of trouble in the future. By the way. I'm Senaka, a medical mage. You must be Hacke, correct?" He asked him.

"Yeah. Nice to meet you, Senaka, and Avery." Hacke said to them, Avery still hiding her face from Hacke.

They went to leave the room. Senaka asked Avery why she didn't talk to Hacke, but before that she did talk a lot. She didn't say a word, then punched him on the shoulder.

Hacke looked out of the window and could see the city. A lot of people are walking or driving to the inner city.

"I wonder if Breska is okay? I'll have to take a look when I'm ready. I can't stand yet. No. What if something bad were to happen now? No. Stand up you piece of shit!" Hacke spoke to himself. When he stood up, pure darkness surrounded him. He couldn't see anything, everything black around him. He could see his hands and feet etc.