Chapter 2: Sweet Obsession

Caleb

Caleb

I’ve managed to get through the day without making a single friendly conversation. I don’t mind not having friends here. In fact, I would prefer it that way. I’m good on my own. I buy a protein bar from the vending machine and take a seat at the last table in the room.

I’m halfway down my protein bar and miles down from scrolling Instagram when I sense someone standing in front of me. I look up. I don’t know why she is here. But I’m glad she is here. She has the most beautiful face I’ve ever seen. A frown appears on her face. She is thinking something. Maybe she will realize I’m not the person she is looking for and walk away from me.

Instead, she grabs my phone and straddles my lap. She takes a deep breath. She is confused and I’m lost. In her eyes. Those eyes are the lightest brown eyes I’ve ever seen.

She closes the distance between us. I can’t see those eyes anymore because she is now staring at my lips. I’m staring at hers.

They are perfect. She is perfect. I can feel her chest rise and fall against mine. She is nervous. I know why she is here. To kiss me.

“It’ll be over soon,” She whispers before closing her eyes shut. Our lips meet. She takes in my lower lip and sucks, tilts her head and continues doing it till it hurts. It hurts! This is definitely not the best kiss I’ve ever had. Certainly, she doesn’t know how to kiss. Perhaps I should teach her how to. I need this. I need to kiss her properly.

I feel the urge in me to grab her and show her what a real kiss feels like. I bring my hand to her back, her top has ridden up, exposing her skin. The second my hand comes in contact with her skin she gasps. Her skin is soft and cold. She stops kissing and stares at me.

Her face turns a shade of red. She’s embarrassed. She doesn’t waste time after that. She gets up, walks back to her table, grabs her things and leaves the room. She doesn’t turn back to look at me. And all I do is stand here and wonder what just happened to me.

                                             ***

It’s been twenty-eight hours since I kissed her. Usually, a bad kiss is a huge turn-off for anyone but in my case it was different. I was obsessed with her. I couldn’t stop thinking about those eyes, staring into mine. I couldn’t stop thinking about the ways I would kiss her.

My mind had stopped working since the minute she decided to sit on my lap. My mind was consumed with her thoughts. I didn’t know who she was, what year she was in, I didn’t know anything about her. Today when I woke up, the first thing on my agenda was to – FIND HER.

“Wanna hang with us after school?” Jacob asks. He looks at me patting his neck with a towel. “We are going to the Shelby's. My treat,” he says.

I shake my head and tell him I would love to go out with him, but I have to take my dog for a walk. He says maybe we can go out some other time. I agree with that. Jacob is the only friend I’ve managed to make so far.