Chapter 35: Resilient brave and strong.

Caleb.

It's really happening. She is leaving. As much as I wanted her to run away from him, I was also heartbroken at the fact that this also meant she was going away from me. I wanted to go with her, but she had a point. I couldn't leave my family behind. Plus, that would also draw attention to us.

Alice was on call with her cousin, he owned a place and went to a college. She said he could help Valentina with setting up and keeping her safe. Jacob took care of her travel and loaned her some cash—that he earned from dealing drugs—that should be enough for a few days.

"Why won't you talk?" Valentina knots our fingers, her tiny thumb caressing the upper part of my palm. I shrug. I'm afraid I might cry if I talk to her. Or even think about, her leaving forever. I didn't want that to affect her. I knew she said she would contact me once things cooled down, but who knew how long would that be? A week? A month? A year? What if she found someone else?

Alice returns with her phone in her hands. "He is on board." She purses her lips. Even though we all agreed to help Valentina, none of us were happy about it. I can't stop thinking about how Valentina was pulling it off with so much confidence.

I turn to Valentina and she locks her eyes with me, "I'll ask you this one last time. Are you sure you want to do this?" I ask and a part of me wishes for her to shake her head and say no but she nods with tears in her eyes. I reach for them when they fall and wipe them away. "I know you have been so brave, as much as I want you to stay... going away is good for you," it wasn't meant to be an emotional speech but I see everyone wiping their tears. "You have to be on your own, at least for a while before we can go back to keeping in touch..." my throat swells and my chest constricts, "This will only be your first step... you have to do it for yourself. When things seem to falling apart, remember... you are resilient, brave and strong. If you can't do it no one can. There is no looking behind once you take this step, always remember why you did what you did." I let go of her hands and move away. Staring down at my feet I let the tears fall.

"Oh god," Alice says letting out her breath. "I'm going to miss you,"

"Yeah dude, me too," Jacob says.

"Wait, What about your exams? Will you be skipping them too?" Alice asks.

"I'll just repeat this semester." Valentina shrugs.

"Yeah, with that kind of brain, it'll be a piece of cake for her." Jacob smiles.

Everyone is quiet for a while, processing the feelings in their own way. I look at Valentina and my heart breaks. She doesn't need this right now, she shouldn't let her emotions cloud her decisions, and most importantly she doesn't need my emotions to overshadow her decisions.

"Okay," I say standing up to grab their attention. "Who's doing what?"

Everyone is quick to stand up and gather around me in a circle. It was getting late and we all needed to head back home soon. "When do you want to do it?" I ask her.

"This weekend," Valentina looks at me knowing what she just did to me, "I heard him speak to someone. He won't be home for two days."

"B-but," I look at Valentina with my lips parted, "that's your birthday." My heart breaks into pieces.

When Alice realizes it, she too stares at Valentina. "You won't be here for your birthday?"

Valentina bites her lips and shakes her head, more tears spill from her eyes. "I-I uh." She sobs.

"It's... uhm it's okay. Let's focus on what's more important." Jacob suggests.

By that point, all my energy had been drained out of me. I just want to go back to my room and sleep, only to get up tomorrow morning knowing I had a terrible nightmare. But it was happening, isn't it? She was going away.

"So... on your birthday then. I shall inform Kale and he will be ready for you." Alice nods.

"I'll leave the cash sealed in an envelope in your locker, just give me the code," Jacob says.

"Thank you," Valentina wipes her tears.

"That's okay. It was dirty money, at least I'm using it for something good. You don't even have to return it to me." Jacob pulls Alice towards him when he sees her cry and places his hand on her shoulder.

"Don't say that, Jacob. At least she will have a reason to reach us." Words leave my mouth before I stop them. "I'll have the bike ready for you," I say changing the subject but they all stare at me. Valentina's eyes linger on me longer than Alice's and Jacob's.

"No, I'll have that covered." Jacob interrupts me, "You get her out of the house. Make sure no one sees," I nod. Everybody agrees.

"Wait," Valentina fishes out her mobile and turns on the camera, "One last picture?" Everybody gathers around her and we pose for the last picture. I smile for the camera while my insides bleed. I try to keep up the smiling face, not wanting to show her what it is doing to me. I don't want her to know I am not ready to say goodbye to her just yet. I need more time! With her!

"On your birthday, we shall have one last park meeting here and give you a wonderful farewell," Alice says through tears. They both cry together hugging each other and we boys try to keep it together, while we calm our girls.