CHAPTER 11: At our usual place

Valentina

Aren't these emotions so complicated? Some people become a very important part of our life in a very little period. And some grow distant from us even after spending a lifetime with us. Strangers are no longer strangers and sometimes even a close friend feels like a stranger.

Days passed by quickly. And so many things changed in these few days. Naomi chose Jake over me. She preferred their company over ours. She was angry with both of us, me because she thought I broke Theo's heart (I didn't) and Alice because she stood by me. I didn't blame Naomi because she was doing what Jake asked her to do. People do things when in love. I still hoped she would realize it sooner or later and come back to us. Alice thought I was a fool to think this. I wasn't. I knew it.

"Ugh! I hate math!" Alice groans. I look at her and notice her eyes immediately. They are bloodshot, and she has bags under her eyes.

"What's wrong with your eyes?"

"Nothing," she says and we reach her locker.

I don't press on it, "Meet you after the class?" I ask and she nods.

I walk over to my locker and punch in the code and open it. As soon as I open the door a blue note floats in the air and falls at my feet. I pick it up.

'9 AM. AT OUR USUAL PLACE!'

My face lights up with a smile. I put the note in my pocket and proceed to load my bag with books for my next class. I and Caleb are a thing now. I'm not his girlfriend 'officially' since I don't want to hurt Theo's feelings and I don't want the word to reach my father. Caleb is fine with it; he loves the idea of dating each other secretly.

The bell goes off and I make my way towards the class. In these past few days, I've learnt so much about Caleb. He is a very private person and doesn't want people to know much about him. He says, the fewer people know about you the less they have against you. This thought is a product of being alone—without friends—his entire life. I cannot imagine how hard that must be. I cannot imagine my life without my friends. They are all I got.

I walk into the class and spot Alice; she is surprisingly quiet today. I walk to my place and take a seat. Something is off about her. She isn't cheery like she usually is. Just before the professor enters Caleb enters the class. He is dressed in his usuals, a hoodie, jeans, sneakers and his hair going all over the place. I wonder if he ever combs his hair.

He shoots a wink at me before he settles down at his place. That sends tingles all over my body. I take a deep breath and look around if someone else caught that. Everyone's eyes are on the professor who is saying something. Suddenly all their eyes are looking at me. I shift uncomfortably in my place.

"Miss Gomez?" Mr Jones is looking at me holding a stack of papers in his hands.

"Yes?"

"Attention back at me please," He holds my stare. I look down embarrassed. He is one of the arrogant teachers in our school. He shoots me a look before handing me the paper and walks away. Did he see me stare at Caleb? But isn't that normal at our age?

I look at the clock on the wall. Ten minutes to nine. I recheck my paper. Seven minutes. I take a look at Mr Jones, he is reading something from a magazine. I take a quick peek at Caleb he is busy playing with his pen. I look back at the clock. Five more minutes.

I'm never this restless, but it's been two days since he came over to my place. Caleb's family had to go visit his elder brother over the weekend, and they took him and Charlie along. The bell goes off pulling me out of my thoughts and I'm the first one to step out of the classroom.