Chapter 4: Casserole

(Play the song while reading) 

VALENTINA.

"I think Theo likes you," Alice snakes her hand around my neck. Does he?

"Why do you say that?" We both stare at him. He is with his friends. Jake isn't with them. Which explains why Naomi isn't with us. They must be making out somewhere. In an empty classroom maybe? I shake off the thought and concentrate on what Alice is saying.

"No reason. Just a feeling." Theo looks at us. Alice waves. "I've caught him looking at you quite a few times."

He returns his attention to his friend, who is still talking. I watch him. He is tall, probably has a worked-out body underneath that sweatshirt and stands with a relaxed posture. He glances towards me; I look down embarrassed of being caught staring. When I look up, he isn't looking at me, but he smiles. He knows! I smile too. He doesn't have his full attention to what his friend is saying because he keeps glancing at me in between.

"You two should date," Alice remarks. I look at her and she is smiling. I blush.

I would love to!

Hearing Alice say that brings me joy and fills me with sadness. I can't have a boyfriend. I cannot date anyone. I bury that feeling deep inside me and shake off the thought of dating him.

"I do not have time for that," I look at her.

"Yeah, I know. Because studies are your prime focus. I've been hearing that for a long time." Her phone buzzes, she silences it and turns her attention back to me. "But dating isn't so bad, honey."

I nod. Her phone buzzes again and I tell her to take it. She asks me if I am sure I tell her to go ahead. She bids good bye and leaves me alone. I plug my earphones; open the book I was reading and start walking towards my next class.

I'm walking down the hallway. A hand appears out of nowhere and pulls me into a corner. Theo! He smiles at me. I smile back. The shock when he grabbed me is replaced by contentment. Shawn Mendes sings Fallin' All in you in my ears. I blush. Theo looks handsome even up so closely.

We both stare into each other's eyes. He doesn't ask me to take off my earphones. I don't. I look around and notice all eyes are on us. Theo is paying no attention to them, and neither should I. But it's hard. It's always been hard. I take out my earphones and put them in my bag.

"I can't take my eyes off you." He says which sends me blushing red.

"So, I've noticed."

He smiles and places his hand behind me on the wall. The position we are in reminds me of something. Caleb. That night. I push that thought far behind in my head. I don't want to think about Caleb right now. I want to be focused on Theo, and Theo only.

"Seems like you can't keep your eyes off me too," he remarks.

"Seems like you are right," I admit.

He scratches the back of his neck and looks down. His face turns red from blushing. Theo looks up at me but I'm no longer looking at him. My gaze is fixed on someone behind him. Theo tells me something to which I nod affirmatively.

Caleb stares at us. There is a frown drawn on his forehead. And this affects me. It shouldn't but it does. He is shooting guns at us with his eyes. I suddenly grow uncomfortable around Theo. The bell rings and I sigh. A sigh of relief.

"I'm getting late for my class," I whisper. He nods.

"I guess I'll see you around then." Something has changed in his behaviour. I smile, take one last look at Caleb and start walking toward my class.