Chapter 6: New Crush?

VALENTINA

It's early in the morning and I'm making coffee in the kitchen. I usually don't wake up so early, but I've had a good night's sleep, so I'm up early. A smile spreads on my face when I think about him. It's the first time I've ever slept peacefully.

I think I'm starting to like him. I hear a dog bark outside. I know where it's coming from. I hear someone speaking to the dog. It's him. I peek through the window of my kitchen, but I don't see anything. I grab my cup in haste and climb the stairs. My bedroom has a perfect view of their backyard. I head there.

I spot him playing with his dog. I'm guessing his dog is a female. He throws the ball at the far end of the backyard and she brings it back to him. He pats her. I lean on the window sill, sipping my coffee. He spots me looking at them, covering his eyes from the sun.

We have brief eye contact before he raises his hand to wave at me. I smile. I hesitate before waving him back. I shouldn't be engaging in any sort of conversation with him that might bring me trouble. I shouldn't worry, my father won't be home until nightfall. Still, I had to stay cautious.

"Had a good sleep?" Caleb's voice brings me out of my thoughts. I nod. I felt good last night, but it was an exception. I had to stay away from him even if I didn't want to.

A voice calls out from inside his house. It's his mom. He and his dog turn toward the house and I take it as a cue to walk away from there.

I walk down the hall of our school hoping to find Alice and Naomi in the cafeteria. I spot Naomi with Jake and Theo. Theo looks at me and gives me a wide smile. As soon as I approach them, Theo steps in front and kisses my cheek. I flush.

"Aw, look at you two," Naomi goes on. She is holding both her hands below her chin batting her eyelashes at us. I don't understand what is happening here. Theo waits for me to kiss him back. He looks expectantly at me. I don't want to disappoint him so I give him a peck on his left cheek.

"Jake is hosting a party this weekend." Naomi begins.

"Yeah," Theo agrees, "It's going to be fun." Jake nods. He has this smug look on his face, that I so badly want to wipe out of his face.

Jeez, I hate him so much.

"Is it a costume party?" Naomi speaks, "Oh god! I would love it..." I lose her. I know how this conversation is going to end. Naomi will ask me to come to the party because it is going to be a 'kick-ass party' I will say I can't because my father won't allow me to. Of course, I won't tell her about my father, I lie to her saying I have to study. She will plead for me to come but eventually give up.

"We will be there," Theo brings me out of my thoughts. He snakes his arm around my shoulder. He is behaving differently than usual today.

I shake my head, "I can't..."

"... yeah, because you have to study." Naomi completes my sentence, making a face. I nod.

"What's up people?" Alice joins us. She eyes Theo's hands on my shoulders and raises her brows in appreciation.

"Jake is hosting a party this weekend and your best friend won't come." Theo fills her in. She looks at me and then at Theo.

"If you manage to convince her to come to this party, I will do whatever you say," Alice demands. She seems very confident about me not going. She should be. Because I am not going.

"Guys, I'm standing right here," I interrupt their bet. I hate to be the centre of the discussion. "And there is no discussion on this topic. I am not going to the party." I say and walk away from there.