Chapter 37: Trip down the memory lane!

Valentina.

The bag that I am carrying drops to the floor.

"What are you doing here?" I ask. He smiles taking a step ahead and I take a step back.

"Are you running away?" He asks continuing to walk towards me. 

"You can't stop me,"

He chuckles and then asks, "You think I didn't know you were running?" I frown, why go away if he knew I was running away?

"You knew?"

"What is a high school girl doing with so much cash in her bag one would wonder? Is she going behind her father's back again? Is she running away from him? After everything that happened? Does she not fear what he would do to them if he found out?" He stands tall in front of me. I dare meet his eyes. "Were you disobeying your father, Valentina? After everything I've done for you?"

"You have done nothing for me! And yes, I am running away from you." I spat at him. He is drunk to the bone. He can't even look straight into my eyes. "So, Let me go," as soon as those words leave my mouth, he strikes me and I fall to the floor.

He keeps muttering something to himself most of which are gibberish words. He kneels and puts a strand of hair behind my ear and starts to sing, "Happy Birthday... happy birthday to my... dear Valentina."

"You remember?" I draw a shaky breath, not believing what I just heard. 

"How could I forget the day you came into my life?" He asks. I was right about him. There was a soft spot behind that thick exterior. Just when I start to believe that his expression turned into a serious one, "The nurse came to me holding you and placed you in my arms. She said... Congratulations Mr. Gomez, you are a father now." Hearing him talk about me brought hope to my heart. He pauses trying to recall and then continues, "And there you were, so tiny, your head was like a little apple," he extends his arms and shows me with his hand, "I wanted to crush you, I wanted to see the life suck out of you. I wanted you to stop breathing... Jesus, you wouldn't stop crying!"

My breath hitches in my throat and I start crying. I try to stop them but they just keep dropping. Stupid tears. "H-how... why do you hate me so much?"

"Oh, stupid girl. Stupid... stupid... stupid girl. Don't you see? It's all because of you! My life is a mess because of you!" he laughs. "You do not have the right to breathe, to live a normal life, under my roof! While I suffer!... so, you see, I had to make sure one thing... to make-"

"-my life hell. I get it!" I look into his eyes. "It's not fair. I get it you loved my mother..."

"Do not speak of her!" He comes to my neck and holds me tightly. I choke. I feel like my eyeballs will drop any moment now. "She shouldn't have left you here... with me. I wanted to end your life the minute I held you, but I thought what's the use? I won't lie to you... there isn't a single day where I don't think of ending your life..." he stands and I am forced to stand with him, with his hand still holding my neck.

"P-l-ease... let... m-me go. Please!" I struggle to free myself from his hold.

"You want to go? Run away from me?" he asks, I nod. "Oh, my sweet darling! You are my leverage. How can I let you go? Don't you get it? From the second I let you live... you belonged to me. There is no escaping from me! You owe me your life!" He let go of me and my hand hits the pan with the pasta. It falls making a mess in the kitchen. The kitchen is painted red. I cough, gasping for air. My windpipes seem to have accepted the defeat and are giving up on me.

"I-I... d-d-do not... owe you my l-l-ife!" I say coughing.

"Oh, you silly girl." He says. I eye the bag that is lying at his feet. "Don't you get it? I get to decide if you live or die. And lately, you have been stepping on my nerves, testing my patience," He pulls out the gun that is strapped to his belt and points it carelessly at me. "Don't make me pull this trigger, sweet girl." He closes on me; his eyes seem to have gotten ten times scary and big than usual. He keeps the gun at my forehead, the cold steel sends chills down my body, "Do not force me to end your life, which I should've done years ago!" I close my eyes and wait. Deep down in my heart, I wish he really pulled the trigger and I would die right then and there. It would be easy, no? How could I live after this? Every time I see him, I would remember his words. My mind would replay this scene over and over again. I would have nightmares about him murdering me. How could I live my life knowing he once wanted to kill me? I make his life hell he says. I should just let him pull the trigger and end my life, free him from his misery and end this miserable life.

But then something hits me. Like a hand reaching into my darkness. And that hand being Caleb's. I remember what he said.

I am resilient, brave and strong. If I can't do it no one can.

I open my eyes and weigh my options quickly. I look at my bag that is a few inches away from his feet. He won't be as strong as he usually is under the influence of alcohol. We aren't that far from the kitchen door. If I am quick, I could outsmart and make a quick escape.

I push him away and reach for the bag. But before I make the run, he gets a hold of me. I was wrong to underestimate him. He is a sheriff he could never lose his senses, he is trained like that. My reflexes make me pull out the knife in my bag and I point at him.

"Let me go!" I cry. I see a movement out of the kitchen door. Caleb is here! "Just... let me go!"

In one quick action, he knocks the knife from my hand and points his gun at me.

"You leave me no choice!" He smiles.