Chapter 23: I don't like lies.

Caleb.

Valentina is walking away from me but I am not looking at her, my eyes are fixed on the car that's approaching us. It doesn't move at a normal speed. It's slowing down. I recognize that car. I recognize it very well. It shouldn't have been there. I am frozen in my place when he parks the car at its usual spot and gets out of it.

He is in his uniform. He is tall, and with a body like that, he looks scary enough to scare the shit out of me. But, I'm not scared of him. But I should be. But I'm not, I'm angry!

"What's his name?" He looks at Charlie and then back at me.

"Charlie," I say looking up at him. He smiles. I know he isn't here to have small talk or to have a friendly chat. I know he saw me with Valentina. I expected him to come at me, punching,  after he parked the car, but he did no such sort. Instead, he is smiling. I might not know him that well, but I knew enough to know he loved to play sick games. "Now, why don't you cut to the chase and tell me what the hell you want?" I add.

"Where are your manners, kid?" he buries his hand deep into his pockets.

"If that's all, then good night, sir" I had zero interest to entertain him today so turn to walk away, but he interrupts. 

"How long have you been seeing her?" A cold chill runs through my spine.

"I don't know what you are talking about," I say. It's hard to keep a straight face when there is so much rage building inside me.

"Do I look like a fool to you?"

"No, but you do look like a shitty person."

He looks down at his feet and laughs, "I like you. You surely have the guts to talk to me like that."

"Thank you."

"Now, let's try this again." His smile fades and his eyebrows draw together in a frown, "How long have you been seeing each other?"

"I told you, I don't..." Before I get to finish he cuts me. 

"Here, let me make it clear to you boy. I am not the person you can get away with by saying you don't know. Do I have to repeat myself?"

Those marks on her thighs that night flashed in front of my eyes. Dark, red and her skin was swollen at places near those marks. I cannot forget the look on her face, she was scared and not in pain. She hadn't shed a tear. She sat there like it was normal for her to have those marks. And he was responsible for those marks. That night I punched my punching bag till my knuckles hurt taking out my rage, still, it wasn't enough! The rage I felt that night has made its way back into me today. It doesn't have to be a punching bag this time. 

I don't think twice and land a blow to his jaw; he takes a few steps back. His hands fly to his mouth, there's blood. He lunges at me but Charlie pounds on him. I hit twice. He falls to the ground. Valentina rushes towards us. She looks at me, and I see hatred in her eyes. Hatred for me! He grabs her by her neck and punches her in her stomach, she cries... crying in pain. 

I look at him and he is standing in front of me perfectly fine. Did I  imagine that? "We are just friends," I tell him. What was I thinking? Punching him in the face? I couldn't let my anger take over me. My actions would have serious consequences, which she would have to bear. He would hurt her. And I wouldn't be there to protect her. And the last thing I would want is for Valentina to see him in me.

"I don't like lies."

"I'm not lying."

"Then what was she doing out with you at this hour?"

"I was heading back home from a walk when saw us and came out to say hi"

"Caleb, is it?" He asks and I nod, "I am sure your parents have taught you better than to be a liar. What a shame to them!" My hands curl into a ball. How dare he?

"Of all the people you shouldn't be lecturing me about what right parenting is."

His face turns grim. I think I hit the right spot. He takes a few steps towards me until he is standing exactly in front of me. "You are very close to Valentina, I see? Now, I'm sure she will be thrilled to know about our little conversation." I was trying very hard to keep my hands to myself but every word he spoke it made it impossible. The thought of her being alone with him under the same roof scared me.

"Keep her out of it." I regain my composure.

"I could throw you behind the bars, you know. Just like that," he snaps his fingers, "So I suggest stay away from her."

"Is that a threat?" I ask and he shrugs moving away from me. "What if I don't? She might be afraid of you, but I'm not." I was lying. I was afraid of the thought of what he was going to do to her once he walked into the house.

"Good night, kid," He says and vanishes behind their front door. With the phone in my hand, I sprint towards my house, dialling Valentina.

She doesn't pick up the first time so I dial her again. Why does she never pick up my calls? I leave Charlie in the drawing room and run to my room. She picks up after four rings.

"Where were you?" I'm panting when I reach my room. I look outside my window and see the drapes are closed. "Why are your drapes closed?"

"Miss me already?" She is in a chirpy mood, which is rare. That means... she is okay.

"Where were you?"

"I was in the bathroom taking a shower, what's wrong?" she asks peeking through the window.

He knows about us. He wasn't there to ask me about me and Valentina. He was there to state the fact that he knows about it. He knew about us all along! What were we thinking when we thought we could outsmart him? And I had just angered him! Valentina wasn't safe with him in that house. Should I call the police? He is the police! How do I warn her without worrying her?

"Caleb?"

"Uhm... I miss you. Leave the drapes open so I can see you." I say and she obeys. She is wearing her baby pink pyjamas. I like her in pink, it suits her. I wanted to climb into her room and give her tight hug. But that was too risky right now.

I grab the chair and sit by the window staring at her. "I wish I could come and smell your hair,"

She laughs which puts a smile on my face "Wow! No one ever said something like that to me. Is it romantic?"

"I don't know." I shrug.

"My window is open for you to come and smell my hair you know," she says shyly. I wish I could do that.

"Tonight, was great," I think about the time we spent earlier this evening. It could've been the best night of my life before that incident with him overshadowed it. I look at her, and she keeps talking, I don't know what she is saying but she seems happy. It's the first time I've ever seen her this happy. And I love the fact that I am the reason she is this happy. I want to give her the happiness she deserves. I want to end this misery. I want to take her as far as possible from this shitty life of hers.

But what if I can no longer make her happy? What if she sees right through me and sees what I am capable of?