xxi: autumn festivals and confessions under fireworks.

TOKYO JUJUTSU HIGH, NOVEMBER 2016.

Yuuta feels giddy as he sways forward and backwards, waiting outside for the rest of the First Years to emerge from their dorms. He's dressed in a white yukata patterned with swirling black clouds, the tie bound tightly around his waist and his katana is abandoned for a day of celebrations. It was going to be their first autumn festival together, made even sweeter with the absence of threats on their lives. They had been craving some sort of holiday and had been throwing out ideas when Kaori had confessed that she had never been to a festival. The First Years had immediately decided on attending the next one. Luckily for them, the Itabashi Fireworks Festival was happening only a few days and Gojo had convinced Yaga to let them have that day off.

"Why are they talking so long?" Panda grouses for the thousandth time. Next to him, Inumaki smacks his shoulder lightly, straightening out the sleeves of his black yukata absentmindedly.

"Stop your complaining," Maki appears, wearing a simple white yukata, the golden obi the only decoration on the smooth fabric. Her hair is tied up in an intricate bun and a flower with curling petals that compliments the shade of her hair. "Come on, Kaori!" she calls over her shoulders as she slips in a small jagged knife into her obi. "Just for safety," she tells Yuuta when his eyes catch the motion.

"Isn't this too much, Maki-kun?" Kaori's voice grows stronger as she walks down the stairs and Yuuta's eyes widen as he turns to look at her in awe. The girl's white hair has been braided down one side and she wears a blush pink yukata, a white obi with string and flower embroidery stitched precisely over it. The over sized sleeves make her look even more petite and crimson flowers litter her hair like arrangements, emphasizing on the vibrant shade of her eyes. Maki smiles proudly as she surveys her hard work while Panda and Inumaki coo.

"You look so pretty, Kaori!" she smiles bashfully, cheeks turning as pink as her outfit and her eyes move expectantly to Yuuta.

"You look stunning," he blurts out and Kaori's lips part in an 'o' of astonishment at his brutal honesty, making him flush.

"Thank you, Yuuta-kun," she replies softly as she descends the final steps to join them. "You look great as well," Yuuta smiles and glances at the ground, giving Kaori ample time to stare at his appearance. The white yukata compliments the pallor of his skin, giving him a healthy glow that contrasts with his hair and making her realize how handsome he is. She tugs at the strings hanging from her obi flusteredly just to have something to do and falls in step next to Inumaki who looks at her knowingly. "What does this autumn festival consist of?" she enquires.

"It consists of a fireworks display with 12,000 fireworks over the Arakawa River," Maki explains patiently. Thinking about the festival makes something nostalgic flitter through Yuuta. He would often go with his family, holding onto his little sister's hand as she fussed over her kimono and then, later on, with Rika as he tried to impress her by winning every game they offered. He had stopped attending them after Rika's death and had missed the cadence and cheer of the events.

"Race you to the riverbend!" Panda shouts abruptly and the First Years protest as he takes off running.

"Oi! Get back here you bastard, you cheated!"

"Caviar," Yuuta laughs as he grabs onto Kaori's hand and pulls her alongside as they run behind their sprinting friends, sure from the snarl on Maki's face that she's going to beat up Panda when she eventually catches up with him. Kaori feels butterflies flutter in her stomach at the warmth of Yuuta's hands over hers and smiles down at their linked fingers. If they attract eyes, it is not because of blood stains or their exhausted states but instead because of their laughter and the way they seamlessly interact with each other. Maki throws herself at Panda with a guttural noise, pulling at his ears while scolding him viciously and Inumaki snickers at the creature's woeful look. The riverside is full of people, families wearing matching kimonos as they explore the stalls visible and teenagers out with their own groups of friends to enjoy this beautiful day. Kaori's eye catches on one of the stalls and she walks towards it, her loose grip on Yuuta's hand dragging him along. She's razor focused on it, barely flinching when Yuuta stutters out her name, and stares at the Wanage booth.