TO LOVE A MONSTER

To be a tool is all Fujiwara Kaori knows. By the age of fourteen, she has killed nearly forty people, and nearly 100 Curses. She is a puppet, an emotionless doll with her plush lips, snow white hair and petite structure. The Gods have forsaken her, leaving her to be nothing but the marionette of the arrogant Higher Up, the man made God Fujiwara Tooru to whom she submits willingly because why wouldn't she? He is her mentor, has plucked her from the orphanage where she was rotting and changed that rot into potential through sheer determination and his menacing smile. Her hands drip with slick blood and she knows nothing else but the stench of corpses rotting and the terrified voices of those she kills. She is a ghost, moving listlessly through life because those who she loves do nothing but leave her time and time again. And why would they stay when she is obviously not perfect? ​​​​​​​​Her mentor chips at her stubbornly block by block yet she persists in remaining just useful enough for him to keep around. Kaori is a teenager in age, but anybody who glimpsed her eyes would guess otherwise for they were haunted by things no teen should see. She is a tool, a finely made weapon, and that's why when Okkotsu Yūta is welcomed warmly by the Strongest, it is she who the Higher Ups send to kill him.

'Murder him,' they whisper, surrounding her with their faces warping into the same Curses they kill. 'Rip him from head to toe. Make sure he is as dead as that Curse that haunts him,' they demand, petulant from the lack of bloodshed in their school, and Kaori bows her head, vowing to return with Okkotsu Yūta's head in her hands. Except, she meets the boy and finds her heart twisted in two as she realizes he is the only one who could ever love a monster like her.

FUJIWARA KAORI | 藤原かおり