xiii: the beheading of a once-loved mentor.

FUJIWARA COMPOUND, 2006.

The room she and Haku stay in is small, given reluctantly to them by the Fujiwara Head who had objected heavily to their adoption. "You can't just bring kids in, no matter how powerful you claim them to be," Fujiwara Haruto had argued fiercely. With quickly graying hair and a long beard, he looked every inch of the formidable Clan Head he was. Kaori and Haku were eavesdropping, worried about the consequences that their would-be mentor would get as a result of adopting them.

"I can do whatever I want, Otou-san," even at a young age, Kaori could tell that Tooru's tone was mocking and amused. "These kids are mine. Not my children, of course not but they are my mentees and they will stay here," the Elders whispered and exchanged scowls but they had conceded to allowing Tooru to do what he wanted. They were quick to realize they had been adopted by a powerful man. Haku had delighted in it but Kaori had become wary. After all, the director and staff of the orphanage had been powerful people too and they had hurt them whenever they could. It didn't help that the Fujiwara Compound was full of hushed gossip that she constantly picked up on. About how Fujiwara Tooru was a powerful but greedy man, that he had no space in his heart for even his family so how could he take care of two children? Being the oldest brought him a kind of power that even his father was careful around and his siblings — withdrawn Fujiwara Yuki and timid Fujiwara Mashiho — had decided to attend a school in Kyoto to avoid him, even going as far as settling there to be out of their brother's clutches. Tooru was a man made God. He was Prometheus, stealing fire from the Gods unashamedly except he did not share it with the rest of society and kept in his greedy clutches. He was only nineteen years old, tethering between the line that separated boy and man, but he had such defiance and mischief that it was like he was eons older. He smiled at them and trained them but Kaori noticed every twitch of his eyebrow when Haku stumbled or the clench of his jaw at Kaori refusing to hurt Haku during their matches. She was right to be suspicious.

It's nearing the end of the year when it happens. Kaori leaves her shared room with Haku ❪ they still shared out of a habit born from their years at the orphanage ❫ when she hears raised voices coming from the meeting room. It's late for a meeting to be going on, especially since Haruto much preferred to have all of his meetings in the morning, so Kaori creeps close. The corner of the sliding door is cracked open and she peers through the small gap to see Haruto and Tooru. The latter's face is flushed with rage as he looms over his father, the older man scowling back at him as he says something sharp. Whatever he says displeases Tooru who runs a hand through his hair. He's disheveled, which is odder than it sounds since Tooru is extremely egotistical and loves keeping his appearance well maintained. Right now, he looks like a man gone mad as he rants and raves at his father, yukata slipping off his shoulder and revealing pale but marked skin as he gestures wildly. Haruto replies with a shake of his head and a snarl and that seems to cause Tooru to snap. Kaori's eyes widen as Tooru clasps his father's neck in a tight grip before pushing cursed energy into the junction of where his fingers wrap around the skin of Haruto's shoulder. Haruto only has the time to gasp before his body contorts wildly under the influence of Tooru's Technique. Kaori can hold back her gasp of horror, stumbling back as Haruto's shattered body collapses on the ground, the Fujiwara seal on his wrist burning and bringing out the smell of burnt flesh. Tooru heaves wildly, eyes turning to look at Kaori. His father's blood soaks him, dripping down his shoulders and splattered against his face but he smiles at Kaori. It's a menacing grin and Kaori is aware that she's staring into the eyes of the devil himself.

"What are you doing up, Kaori-kun?" he asks sweetly. "Go back to bed, okay?" his eyes convey everything he wants to say, reading out the soundless threat of what will happen if she ever tells someone what she saw. She lowers her eyes to the ground, unable to maintain contact with such a monster and nods.