24. Skedaddle

Oscar went on many dates after that, it was huge success in a way, he still looked empty inside but this was the best option he had. He was a good-looking young man with a promising future, I couldn't let him ruin himself because of one mishap.
Many a times his dates never went on to the second date because they wanted his true self. Women are very intuitive in that aspect, one look in your eye and they know. Two months passed like a breeze and he was getting confident in himself. He knew how to talk with girls much better than he could. It felt like his much- awaited puberty sense had awakened. He fell for one girl in between but backed out, his policy of 'I can't give someone something I don't own' still stood.
On the third month, he met Rio again, as if karma never wanted him to move on.
The minute he saw her all the memories came rushing back, he was almost on the verge of a breakdown, he hid in the corner of the street he saw her on. She had noticed him too, and walked toward him.
I prayed, please don't talk to him, please walk away, the poor boy has finally started to see another light-
"Hey" she waved at him
"Oh Hey" he replied back, I knew he was trying his best to face her. "You look better"
"Thanks"
"So where are you headed?"
"I was going to the grocery store to get some oats and milk"
"Yeah, it looks like you've joined the gym, good for you"
"Thanks"
"But like I meant which university are you headed to"
"I wanted to head somewhere close-by but I guess that's not happening"
"Why?"
"I got rejected because of my grades"
"Oh, if it helps, I got into the university I wanted to get in"
"No, it does not help"
"I just wanted to tell you, I don't want it to look like I'm trying to show off, but I am" she grinned "I'm glad"
"I'm proud of you though"
"For what?"
"For not giving up"
"On you?"
"Oh my god are you still not over it?"
"I am, I already have a girlfriend" he was lying straight up to her face. That's how you do it boy.
"Oh, that's nice. I meant giving up on your future as a whole"
"Yeah, that yeah I guess yeah it's good yeah" he started to fumble.
"All the best then"
"Thanks, I'll see you around"
"No, you won't"
"What?"
"I said you won't; I'm moving away from here across the country, so hopefully we never see each other again."

"Oh okay, call me if you need anything"
"Also, about that, I don't think you've noticed, but I've blocked you everywhere, so no I won't be reaching out to you"
As a matter of fact, he had noticed it. Just didn't know why, but now he knew.
"So, it's goodbye then"
"Sayonara as the Japanese say"
"I won't be seeing you again"
"Yep" and she walked out of his life permanently.