Part 8: The True Meaning of Love

"Are you ready to die sister?"

Marina held the sword to Alice's throat, she stood over her as Alice knelt on the floor. Looking from Jonathan to Hatter,

"If you don't give yourself up, everyone you know will die...Starting with them."

Alice watched as the black knights drove a dagger into each of their backs one at a time. Hitting the floor with a loud thud. "Time's up! Say goodbye Alicia." Marina crowed and drove the sword into her heart.

"ALICE! WAKE UP!" I gasped sharply as I awoke. My heart was beating against my chest so hard, I felt sick. Hatter gripped me by my shoulders as I swung forwards into his arms. "Shhh, it's alright. You're safe." Hatter began as he embraced me in his arms. Tears filling my eyes as my breathing shallowed. Hatter's arms wrapped tightly around me, assuring me of my safety. "You're okay, it was just a dream that's all."

"Hatter, will you stay with me?" I managed to say between my rasps of breaths. He sat back and looked me in the eyes, cupping my cheek with his hands and caressing my cheeks. "I wouldn't be anywhere else." He leaned in and kissed my forehead before lying beside me cradling me in his arms as I drifted slowly back to sleep.

(The next morning)

My eyes fluttered open as daylight crept in through the cottage windows. As I became more awake, I turned, hoping to see a sleeping Hatter beside me but he wasn't there. I pulled myself up and started looking for Hatter in the room. I finally found him standing arms crossed beside the window. He turned and smiled. "How are you feeling this morning?" Gracefully swinging my legs over the bed, I sat and looked up to see him now standing in front of me. I didn't respond. I reached for my clothes on the chair and waited for him to leave the room so I could change. He left in a huff, storming out. I freshened up and finished breakfast with Rabbit when Hatter walked into the room and announced,

"We've got a long journey ahead, we should get going." He arrogantly said, pulling his coat around his slim figure. Rabbit and I stood in unison as we prepared supplies to leave.

Hatter opened the door and thanked Rabbit for his help. Shaking hands and embracing in a manly hug they parted. I began to walk out of the door when Rabbit pulled my arm back slightly whispering into my ear, "Be safe my child, and never forget who you are." Before he had a chance to move, my arms quickly wrapped around him.

"Thank you. For everything. I won't forget what you have done for us." Tears filled his eyes as I turned and waved goodbye to a man who cared for me like I was his own. I looked back and felt a sudden rush of familiarity as I reminisced about the hug Rabbit just gave me. Feeling like I belonged in his embrace.