Part 14: Home?

We'd reached the palace entrance, where we were met with a small group of men dressed in white uniforms and white armour. Helping me down from my horse, Jack caught me as I collapsed in his arms. As I fell in and out of consciousness I saw Hatter, who had been left with the horses and as the men covered my father's body, I looked to him one last time and before everything went black.

(The Next Morning)

It was the following morning and I woke to find myself in a room that was fit for royalty. A bed that was twice the size of my own. With covers made of fur and silk. A silver four poster bed with a white canopy hanging from the roof of the bed. I began to get up and explore the room I had found myself in. By the window was a beautiful white dresser with a detailed mirror and a wardrobe that could have led to Narnia with the amount of clothes it contained. I pulled a woollen robe from the wardrobe, covering the silk blue nightdress I had woken up in and walked out onto the balcony window. I looked out at the breath taking views. Then I heard a knock come from behind me. It was Hatter.

"You're awake. Did you sleep well?" He softly asked, I smiled and responded.

"I haven't slept that well in a long time. No bad dreams. No visions or memories." I looked back to the city, "Until I came out here and saw what my father created. What he abandoned. What he died for." Hatter pulled me into a hug. There I was crying in his arms. Feeling safe and protected as he pulled me closer to his chest.

"Alice, you fought your way out of one of the most impenetrable airships in all of Wonderland. You made a Jabberwocky run after just looking right into its eyes and you even stood up to the most tyrannous ruler that ever lived. You are the bravest person I have ever met." He pulled me out to face him, placing one hand on my shoulder, the other cupping my cheek. "And your father was proud of you. He saw you defend yourself against the black knights. Not many people can admit they knocked down a black knight. He's proud of the woman you became." I got lost in Hatter's eyes as he consoled my grief. Without realising he was leaning in to me, and I was leaning in to him too. We were inches apart, I felt his arm wrap around my waist and my arms started to grasp around his neck.

"Ahem!" We broke apart as Jack came into sight. I looked at Hatter, who looked directly at him with anger and I watched as his mouth began to quiver with hate,

"I'm not interrupting, am I? It's just that there's some people who want to see you, Alice." Jack began with a sarcasm to his voice and ended the announcement with accomplishment. Hatter gave a deep sigh, releasing my hand he stormed out and brushed past Jack with a growl in his voice,

"It's fine I was just leaving anyway." I went to follow Hatter when Jack tried to stop me holding his hand out.

"Alice... we need to talk." I raised my head to look him in the eyes and finally realised what he'd done. He'd said all of that to get me alone.

"You're forgetting Jack. I'm the Princess... and I DON'T want to talk to you."