Part 17: Hatter's Love

Hatter takes my hand, places it on his shoulder, his other hand places itself on my waist as I entwine my hand with his and begin to interlock our fingers. He pulls me in close and I take a breath. He looks in my eyes and smiles.

"Alice, there's something I need to ask you."

"What is it?" I softly say as he pulls me in to lift me up and spin me around. I gasp as he slowly lowers me back to the floor. He pulls me into his chest and I lean my head on his shoulder.

"How is a raven like a writing desk?" I look up at him in confusion.

"I don't understand." Hatter pulls me in closer and whispers in my ear,

"Till when shall this love-sickness last?" I slowly lift my head back up to look at him, he leans in slowly towards me,

"Hatter... I..." my heart starts to beat faster than ever as he is inches away from me.

"YOUR HIGHNESS!" Jack interrupted, Hatter and I stood straight in an instant. Hatter turned away for a second before looking at Jack. "Your highness may I have a word?" He asks looking over to Hatter, implying him to leave us. "ALONE" he finished.

Hatter places every inch of sarcasm and arrogance he has into his reply towards Jack.

"Of course, because you're the person who lies to her and gets to control where she goes and what she does." He looks at me and I say nothing because I don't know what to say. Hatter scoffs in anger, and bows again. "Your Highness!" Hatter turns and begins to leave,

"Hatter... wait." I called out to follow but stopped when Jack caught my arm.

"Alice don't!" he says.

"You do not get to command me!" I turn and pull my arm out of his grasp and walk out heading out of the hall and head back to my room.

"Alice. Wait!" Jack follows me and I yell out in frustration.

"WHAT! What do you want?" He quickly pulls me in and kisses me hard. I push him away and slap him.

"Alice, I'm sorry for lying to you... but I had to. It was to protect you." He said

"How does that make it any better? Since I got here all you've done is lie to me and I'm tired of it."

"Alice, I found you and I fell for you... truly and completely. I was not lying about that. Asking you to marry me, that wasn't lying either I still want to marry you Alice. As your husband, I can protect you from your sister, protect you from harm... I can keep you safe." His hands were on my arms, his eyes locked on me. He got to his knees and pulled out the same ring from the restaurant back home, it was Deja vu all over again.

"Alicia Mariah Ravensworth, my queen, my life... Will you marry me?"

"You can't be serious!" Hatter came out of nowhere and loudly called out in disbelief. "After everything you've done do you really think she'll say yes."

"Hatter..." I couldn't finish my sentence before Jack got to his feet and went for Hatter.

"You are really starting to get on my nerves!" I could see that this confrontation wasn't going to end well, "Do you really think that she will be safe with you after you nearly get her killed? What can you offer, you're nothing but a distraction to her."

That was it, in an instant Hatter came running towards Jack, yelling in anger.

SMACK! Hatter had knocked Jack to the ground, his sword falling out of its sheath. Hatter went to reach for it but it was kicked away by Jack.

"Stop It!" I yelled as I ran in the middle of them trying to end their fight.

Jack stood with the sword in his hand on my left-hand side, followed closely by Hatter standing up on my right. They went to step towards each other just as I put my arms out,

"ENOUGH! Both of you!" I shouted in frustration stopping them dead in their tracks.

"Alice?" Jack said.

"I SAID ENOUGH!" my head shifted from left to right between the two of them. "I don't know what has gotten into you two but it stops now!"

Jack went to open his mouth but before either one of them could make a noise I repeated my last word "NOW Jack!" I turned to the guard who was standing a few feet away and gave my first command "See that Jack is escorted back to his room and stays there until I say so!" The guard nodded and took Jack away. I watched as he walked away in frustration and felt a sudden rush. Was this what it was like to be queen? I didn't know if I liked this kind of power. It just wasn't me. I looked back to Hatter who had already started to walk away from me. "Hatter! Wait Hatter!" he didn't respond. He kept walking further away until I couldn't see him anymore.