Part 8

Ella's POV

I feel my eyes growing heavy. So I quickly snap awake and get up. "Too dangerous in the open." I tell myself. I look around and stare at a big tree off the highway. Luckily there's a small forest. I sigh and walk over to the tree. I grab a branch and slowly climb up the large tree. I climb to the thickest branch. I hang my bag on a branch next to me. I yawn and slowly fall asleep to the sound of birds chirping.

I jump awake when I hear zombies growling near me. I move on the branch and peek under me. Seeing nothing I look through the leaves and see a few zombies walking on the highway. I look at the sky and note it is around 4pm. So I grab my bag and slowly climb down the tree and soundlessly step on the ground. I nod and look around. I turn and slowly walk into the small forest, to stay away from the zombies.

I take a few deep breaths as I walk. But when I take a step I feel something is wrong. Next thing I know sharp pain goes through my high-top converse. I fall to the ground just barely being able to hold in a scream. But it was too late, the sound of the bear trap was too loud and some zombies heard it. I quickly stand up, holding back tears. I grab my katana and a few throwing knives.

I slice off the two closest zombie's heads. And I throw knives into the other three heads. After their dead, I fall to the ground again. I take a few deep breaths as I take a hold of each side of the bear trap. I begin to pull it apart but I stop as I almost scream again. I get into my bag and grab a handkerchief. I take a deep breath and put it in my mouth. Just to muffle any screams.

I take a hold of either side of the bear trap and slowly pull it apart. I want to shut my eyes but I know I can't. With one last deep breath, I pull the bear trap off my foot. I toss it off to the side as I roll onto the ground holding back screams. I gasp and take the handkerchief out of my mouth. I look at my foot and my eyes widen when I see how much blood there is. "I need shelter." I tell myself as I slowly get up.