Part 9

Ella's POV

I struggle onto the highway and look around. There are no more zombies, so I hobble over to the closest car. I open the backseat door and look in the car to make sure it's clear. After making sure nothing is in the car I climb inside. I close the door and lock all the doors. I sit sideways in the back seat. I put my handkerchief in my mouth again. And slowly I untie my shoe and pull it off.

I then take off my sock as I blink away the tears of pain. I grab my first aid kit from my bag. I pull out everything I need. With a deep breath, I pull apart a few of the holes. Luckily I only need to stitch up one of the wounds. I slowly clean the holes and stitch up the one that needs it. After I'm down I wrap it up and put on a none bloody sock. I lean back and groan to myself.

"I have to stay here for the rest of the day." I tell myself. Now it's going to take even longer to take to get to the warehouse. I look around and notice a blanket in the front seat. So I grab it and cut it up. I grab a roll of duck tape that I have in my bag. I tape the blanket to the windows so no human or zombie can see me. I double check all the locks. I sigh and lean against the door.

I hit my forehead with my hand. "So fucking stupid." I tell myself as I look at my ankle. "How could I be this stupid?" I ask myself. I groan and grab my bag. And look in it. I see a small box that I don't remember putting in my bag. I listen as zombies walk by my car. I sigh softly and open the small box. My eyes widen as I see what is in the box. Tears enter my eyes.

It's a necklace that I used to wear all the time a few years ago. It's a heart-shaped sapphire pendant. I slowly put it around my neck. I look down at it and I grab onto it as I think back to all those years ago. I haven't worn it in six years. I haven't even looked at it in four years. I thought I lost it when I moved. Where was it? Where in my house? Did I just forget where I put it? Would she be upset that I stopped wearing it?