Everyone Can See Right Through Me

"What the fuck?" Nate cried standing up. Why would she lie to him about this? This was pants (sorry, I like British slang). Totally messed up.

"Why the hell did you tell me you...got...rid of it?" Nate asked slowly. Avril didn't answer. He sighed heavily.

"Why are YOU upset?" She asks angrily. She looked up at him. Her eyes were red like she'd been crying.

"Um, I don't know, because it's kinda my kid too and you said it was gone! If you don't want me in the picture, just say it instead of being all secretive and acting like I'm some dumbass who'd never find out!" Nate snapped.

Avril stood and looked up at Nate straight in the face. "Fine. I. Don't. Want. You. Around. This. Child. Or around me." She whispered. Nate struggled to hear her voice over the rain and the sound of traffic.

"Why are YOU so mad at ME?" Nate demanded.

"Do you really wanna know?" Avril warned. Nate nodded. "Humor me." He spat.

Avril sighed. "I thought you liked me," she began. "Avril, we're not ten."

"Do you want me to tell you or not?" She growled. Nate rolled his eyes.

"I thought you liked me but you don't obviously. Or at least you act that way. You push everyone away from you and act like you don't care, even though you know deep down inside that you do." Nate didn't like where this was going. "You're afraid that you'll be pushed away. You can't control your thoughts. You're a coward, Nate. A cold-hearted coward." Avril finished in a grumble. Nate felt like he'd been slapped. She was acting like Erin. Not herself. Not the Avril that he knew. She was acting like a bitch and Nate didn't like it at all.

Turns out she wasn't finished.

"You can't express feelings. You keep them locked inside of you but you know what? The lock will break one day and you'll be a wreck. You'll have no one to turn to because you've pushed away everyone who cares about you."

Where the hell did all of this come from? Why did she hate him so much? What'd he ever do to her? Well, besides knocking her up but still.

Nate looked down to Avril, their faces inches away. He spoke, his words slow and sharp.

"Don't you ever fucking tell me how I feel and what's in my head." Their eyes pierced into each other's and they held an intense stare for a few moments.

"Coward." She dared him, still holding the stare. Nate's chest rose quickly and he felt like yelling.

Deep down, he knew she was right. He did push everyone away. He did keep everything inside unless he wrote about it. But he wouldn't admit defeat.

"Bitch." He countered. Avril's eyes widened. Nate regretted saying that but she truely was acting like one.

"Fuck you." She growled. Nate took a step back.

"I'm done with this." He grumbled and walked back to his car, leaving her completely alone in the rain.

Nate sat down in his seat and picked up the cigarette carton. He still hesitated smoking. What if he couldn't quit again? Was it worth it? Fuck it, Nate thought and opened the carton. He dug around under the seat of his old car until he felt the plastic in his hand. He gripped the green lighter then lit it.

He finished two of the cigarettes then decided to go home. He was calm. For now.

"What are you doing in my apartment?" Nate groaned when he found Ariana in his living room. She was perched on the arm of the couch.

"Nice to see you too." Ariana said sarcastically. She got to the floor.

"How did you-?" Nate started. "Your hiding spots are lame." She explained dangling the spare key that normally resided under that doormat.

"Need something?" Nate asked her sarcastically when Ariana didn't say anything else. "Yes." She replied.

"Avril told me what happened."

"And now you're here to pull my limbs off one-by-one right?" Nate asked. Ariana snorted. "Not exactly."

She plopped on the couch and crossed her legs. "She's hurt, Nate." Nate scoffed. "She's hurt? What about me? Did she tell you what she said about me?" Nate asked.

"Yes. She was harsh too." Ariana admitted. Finally, someone agreed with him.

"But you two are both wrong. You were wrong getting her pregnant and she was wrong for lying about the abortion. You were wrong for calling her a bitch and she was wrong for calling you a coward. You both have some apologizing to do."

Nate rolled his eyes. His palms itched for another cigarette. "This is none of your business." Nate said flatly. "You sound like Avril." Ariana said. "And Avril sounds like Erin." Nate shot back.

"That's why you're so upset." Ariana finally figured out why. And Nate broke down for the first time in a long time.

"H-how did you know?" His voice faltered. Ariana smiled understandingly. Was that even possible for her.

"Because I understand," Ariana began,"my sister died when I was younger and everything reminded me of her. It was awful and I couldn't take it. But...I got over it." She explained.

This was what was causing all of his stress? Erin's death and attempted death?

A tear slid down his cheek and he began to sob. He didn't care if Ariana saw him, he needed to let it out.

"I did this to her." He whispered. Ariana patted his back. "Did what to who?"

"Fucked everybody up," he said in a tiny voice, "I got Avril pregnant and made Erin suicidal." Nate explained.

"Nate, the second thing is not your fault. She had issues to begone with probably, but was just hididng them." Ariana soothed him.

Who knew that she was actually a caring person?

"Thank you, Ariana." Nate said after a few minutes. He'd put himself back together. "No problem." She said. She headed towards the door.

"Hold up." He called. She turned around. "Can you tell Avril I'm sorry?" Nate asked. Ariana nodded. "She owes you an apology too thoug. But I'll let her know." She smiled.

"Thanks." Ariana nodded. Nate actually felt a little bit better. Were things finally getting back to normal?

Okay, this was so lame. And surprisingly long...