71. Stigma of the Gifted

This was the longest wait of Luna's life. She waited for a tiny crack and Axel's voice for what felt like an eternity. Zeraora came out unharmed, but Axel was still rooted in place. 

Llade and Froxel couldn't stand the sight. Axel was a dear friend to them, and seeing Luna cry for Axel in his current state was just heartbreaking for them to watch. Hexa glared at Xerneas, who simply rolled its eyes with an attitude. The rainbow crystals on its horns glowed vibrantly, a pink pulse of energy sweeping through the area.

Crack.

Crack.

Crack.

Luna didn't notice anything. All that was on her mind were the times they spent together.

"Axel, I..."

Want to see your smile;

Want us to stay together for a tiny bit longer;

Want to tell you that, just a little bit, I kinda...

"Come on, Luna," a warm voice whispered in her ear, "don't cry. After all, Luna's much prettier when she smiles." 

It was as if time had stopped, like the two of them were the only ones in the world. Luna held Axel even more tightly as she teared up even more.

"I'm not crying... you dumbass..." she said through hiccups, burying her face into Axel's shoulder. It was warm, and she didn't want to let go. She dug her fingers into the fabric of his jacket. "Y... you're... I thought... you... were... you idiot!"

Axel looked at Luna sadly, a surge of guilt rushing through him. He felt bad for making Luna worry and cry, but was also kind of glad to know that he meant something to her.

He thought he would be just fine spending some time alone in the eerie darkness. But being through all that made him realize how lonely he actually was. He had got so used to Luna and everyone else' company, being all alone in silence was depressing and even torturing for him.

I've always convinced myself that I was fine with and used to being all by myself. It's been that way for so many years after all.

But thinking back, I hated being by myself. I've always wanted to have someone by my side who would care for me and just be there for me. Being fine with the loneliness was just a lame excuse I gave myself.

Truth is, I love travelling with Luna and my Pokémon. They made me feel included, and I feel safe to just be myself with them. I can truly laugh and enjoy my time with them— every single moment was just... magical.

I'm so glad that I matter to someone out there.

"I'm sorry," Axel cried softly, pulling Luna closer to him with his arm and placing his other hand on her head, "I missed you too. So very much. I'm so sorry I made you worry."

Xerneas grumbled. The legendary Pokémon was deprived of entertainment of any sorts. It wanted to watch drama of some sort occur first, perhaps a little confession from the girl to the boy if possible. Naturally, it had held back its powers in anticipation for such a scene, only for its expectations to be completely ruined.

On the other hand, Zeraora wasn't happy about the arrangement as well. It was relieved that Axel was uninjured, but it wanted to be the one having that sort of sweet treatment instead of Luna.

Llade and Froxel were too beyond relief. Llade let out a happy sniffle, and before Froxel can stop it, it pounced on Axel and Luna, hugging them enthusiastically and nearly sending the two toppling over.

Axel giggled and hugged Llade as well. Then, he looked around to find Froxel standing by a tree.

"Careful," Luna said worriedly as Axel walked towards Froxel unsteadily with a stagger.